Live At Home [DVD] review by Nickelback

• Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 8
Nickelback: Live At Home [DVD]

On this DVD, they sound very good and tight. They aren't playing sloppy, and we see some grade A stuff from front man Chad Kroeger, who dishes out an extended guitar solo on "Where Do I Hide" and other stadium-rock oriented tunes. Kroeger's growl is also very present on this DVD, which makes the band seem more grungy than anything. This also shows how his voice has matured a great deal over the years. All of this is nicely complimented by Ryan Peake's vocal harmonies and guitars, Mike Kroegers thundering bass and Ryan Vikedal's spot-on drumming. Overall, the band aren't as energetic as demonstrated on this DVD, but they have matured as a band a great deal and musically are much better now. Funnily enough though, Kroeger says during the show "I bet my future wife is in the crowd tonight", and ironically he's now in a relationship with someone who was in fact at that show.

Content — 10
Has some nice backstage stuff on this DVD, interviews and sound check stuff, along with a few music videos. This is indeed a live DVD, and pretty much contains a "best-of" set-list of the band up to that point, which is pretty cool. This was filmed in Edmonton, Alberta at Rexall Place in 2001 or 2002. We also get a guest appearance of Jerry Cantrell during the show, who comes out to perform "It Ain't Like That" with the Albertan quartet. It is also apparent this band knows what they're doing. Kroeger pulls out what he calls the "Nickelback cam", and films the crowd screaming at the top of their lungs. He at one point moves to a stage in the center of the crowd for a song. The band plays for a solid, good amount of time. The encore consists of an acoustic cover of Big Wreck's "Mistake", and a semi-acoustic "How You Remind Me".

Production Quality — 8
Production quality is pretty good. The camera work is pretty cool, and we get plently of different angles. Nothing to really complain about here. Not really corny, but some of the camera effects can get a tad annoying. The pyrotechnics are pretty cool too.

This is probably one of the best live DVD's I own. I highly recommend it. It sounds good, and looks good, and has plenty of bonus material. Unfortunately, it is not in widescreen, this could be annoying for people with HD televisions. But is makes up with it's nice mix of 5.1 Dolby Digital and 2.1 Dolby Stereo. There are also english subtitles available, which seem to be pretty good. If it were stolen or lost, I'd deffinately go out and buy another. I'm anxious to watch Nickelback's "Live at Sturgis 2006" DVD, which came out early this month.

G-loony
    Jericho114
    .... They are more popular in America than they are here in Canada
    Haunted_Shell
    Jericho114 wrote: G-loony wrote: "Live at home", Because anywhere else besides theire own home they get rocks thrown at them. But seriously, They aren't as bad as 80% of UG says, From those 80% are 70% just jumping on the bandwagon. .... They are more popular in America than they are here in Canada
    Lmao, I'm from canada and I know music..Nickelback are popular just as much here as they are in the states
    ronin_dude21
    Discofootman wrote: Nickelback aren't from Alberta. They're from B.C.
    Hanna, Alberta my good man....not BC
    Barendino
    why does nickelback gets a good review and thrice not =( Thrice rox much more then gay ass money hungry nickelback! They need to catch some stones again... =(
    AM_Nexus
    Greate DVD, greate band. The only thing, that I don't like - the way that the fired Ryan Vikedal...
    Firebird84
    Good DVD. The few problems I have are: - It Ain't Like That w/ Jerry Cantrell: I don't think the audience is up for stuff like that.. they like the more melodic stuff; seemed a bit outta place with that guest appereance. 2. I don't believe the OLDER material is THAT good... but the performances are great! 3. Ryan "Nik" Vikeldal: on drums. I my... I don't think he is bad.. Of course he's good.. but.... Daniel Adair is just a better drummer, I think. (And Vikedal's sound is just like too much "cardboard boxy" at times, if that even makes sense..