Live At Sturgis 2006 Uncensored [DVD] review by Nickelback

• Released: Mar 10, 2009
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Nickelback: Live At Sturgis 2006 Uncensored [DVD]

Back in December, Nickelback's Live at Sturgis 2006 DVD hit the shelves, and for one reason or another, that particular release was available exclusively at Walmart. It probably wouldn't have been such a huge deal if it weren't for the fact that the live concert took place at Sturgis, South Dakota, where anything goes during the annual motorcycle rally. The Nickelback concert wasn't necessarily a huge cesspool of bad behavior, but it certainly wasn't a good fit for the always-benign Walmart. When the DVD was released through the superstore, let's just say that the weird shadows covering flashers' breasts and abundance of bleeped language became incredibly distracting. Fast forward a few months and the same DVD is now available on a grander scale and thankfully, in the manner it was meant to be seen in the first place. You can actually witness the Nickelback show without the egregious, cumbersome edits. There's nothing wrong with producing a clean version of a DVD, but a Sturgis show (where boobies abound) was not the proper fit. Other than the uncensored part, really nothing has changed in terms of the Nickelback show or general content, and you're still in for a quality performance. If there's one thing that Nickelback proves during the show, it's that they are incredibly tight musically and have the ability to sound eerily like the studio recording. You can tell there is no lip synching or anything of that matter Chad Kroeger is just one of those gifted vocalists who probably needs very little enhancement in the studio. Among the 12-song playlist, which is a veritable best-of collection, you'll hear the likes of Photograph, Never Again, Too Bad, and Figured You Out. There is a drum solo from Daniel Adair that didn't make the cut in the main feature, but you can see a clip of that during the bonus section's documentary. It should also be mentioned that Nickelback's Side of the Bullet is dedicated to Dimebag Darrell (not to mention the song's solo consists of Dimebag's studio outtakes from Pantera sessions), and a very cool montage of the guitarist is projected on the main stage screen. That was an unexpected moment during the Sturgis show, and it is probably the most memorable moment of the entire setlist.

Content — 9
After hearing that there would be an uncensored version of Live at Sturgis 2006, it seemed like this might be an opportunity to show a few more antics that occurred behind the scenes at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. You won't see any new extras on the uncensored version, but to be fair, the original Walmart release already did have a good deal of bonus content. For fans of Nickelback, there is a documentary that is essentially a series of behind-the-scenes interviews during the Dark Horse Tour. That portion doesn't necessarily feel like a full-out documentary, but it does show Nickelback in a very down-to-earth, likable light. Also included is a short-and-sweet documentary called Sturgis 101, that touches upon the annual motorcycle rally and actually includes some Nickelback bio info at the end as well. Rounding out the extras are a video for the single Rockstar, and a photo gallery accompanying the appropriate song, Photograph. The main concert feature runs about an hour and demonstrates just how many hit singles that Nickelback has churned out over the years.

Production Quality — 10
Live At Sturgis 2006 is shot in hi-def, and the resulting footage is absolutely gorgeous. Every shot is incredibly vivid, and you see a wide range of camera shots/angles during the concert. Kroeger is obviously the star of the show, but the director wisely gives every band member plenty of camera time.

It's fairly interesting that an uncensored version was quickly distributed after the exclusive Walmart version, but in the end it works better for the concert experience. There was certainly plenty to clean up, too, with Kroeger's love of the F word and boobs. In the end, however, fans of Nickelback shouldn't be disappointed regardless if they're seeing the clean version or fully uncensored release. Naysayers of Nickelback probably won't be converted by the end of Live at Sturgis 2006, but it's hard to deny that this is a band that has the talent to sound as good onstage as it does in the studio.

bikerluke666
    I keep kicking myself for liking a band that chooses to sell it's stuff exclusively in big stores like Wal-Mart and continually try and gain cool points for being bad....but godamnit they know how to make tunes that get stuck in your head!
    Bob.Loblaw
    taytay8b
    They're like a modern day Def Leppard. Sure, that's saying alot, but if you think about, they pretty much are i suppose. Other than the fact that Lep had awesome guitars, and some different songs i guess. Anyways, this DVD is alright. Lots of boobs and cursing and the usual. Too short though, the set-list could also be better. They absolutely kill the show by playing all their ballads. They rock out, then they play a shitty radio ballad. They throw an amazing show, and that just sort of ruins it, brings everything down a notch.
    GN'R Dude
    Ktool The Girth wrote: HotDogs1 wrote: i wouldnt despise them as much if they simply would have went away after that first song back in 01 or 02ish but i really don't think they contribute to music in any positive way. they sound just like everything thats wrong with music so they sort of became the scapegoat, plus they're not that good to be played on the radio constantly. I swear every time my ipod dies and i check the radio sure enough NICKELBACK is on or some band that sounds exactly like them like default, or hinder, 3 doors down, staind, 3 days grace, creed (not so much anymore), seether, puddle of mud, godsmack....i cant go on just thinking about these bands makes me sick literally disgusted. it's just im so sick of this whole "tough but sensitive guy with an eyebrow ring" bands give it up and move on You mean just like every metal band? Also, those bands on your list sound nothing alike.
    No, they do. Not 3Doors Down though,
    JonasStevens
    It sounds like everything they've done was made in a factory. "Oh!!!! CRAP!! I forgot the pre-chorus! Stop the line!"
    Merge
    Rocker_geek
    Seether >>> these guys. They actually are listenable and raw.
    Regression
    If you are going to criticise their music: Listen to Follow You Home first. I'm not really a fan of them, a lot of their songs are quite mediocre. However, Follw You Home is a great song, good for people into nice heavy riffs with some cool groove.
    JonasStevens
    Merge : If you don't like Nickelback, when they come on the radio, change stations. See how hard that was??
    If I change the station, I end up with ANOTHER Nickelback song. Guaranteed. It's like they pay the stations to play their songs at the exact same time.
    DeadlyKombat
    Anybody heard their small cover of Sad But True? sounds badass if you ask me. If he sang like that all the time they would be more awesome.
    Vedicardi
    I think the user score of this album reflects how awful everyone knows they are
    23rd Fret
    they seem to think having sex as a topic for every damn song is awesome and cool. They're like a group of idiot high school kids with zero lyrical ability who somehow made it big. Just an annoying band.
    Metallicam
    Bob.Loblaw wrote: Galvatron : All the Nickelback defenders are ridicoulous.Come live in Edmonton where you have the radio on for 10 hours a day at work and have to hear 9 Nickelback songs in that time period.Day after week after month after year. I have never been so sick and tired of hearing a band. It's true that in Canada, with the canadian content law, you hear a LOT of these guys on the radio. But it doesn't make them a bad band, just an overplayed band.
    It's only because most radio stations don't bother getting around the laws. Only two of the following have to be Canadian to fall into that 30% content rule: 1. Lyrics written by a Canadian 2. Music written by a Canadian. 3. Preformed by a Canadian 4. Produced in Canada. Due to these laws, they can play Lenny Kravitz's version of American Woman, and it's considered Canadian content. Luckily down in Calgary they know that and have a station that forbids Nickelback and all sound a likes.
    starzsp
    There not a bad band, They just annoy a whole lotta of us. The reason Chad sung that song about wanting to be a Rockstar is obivous Hes not a Rockstar. And everytime Nickelback is played around me, I can feel Kurt Cobain turning in his grave.
    Ironpriest
    funny you should say that. I remember reading somewhere the producer for the new album was the guy who produced def leppards big hits and classic albums like back in black by AC/DC. But Def Leppard are way cooler than nickelback. POUR SOME SUGAR ON MEEEE!!!
    HotDogs1
    if you really consider nickelback "metal" i suggest you get your ears checked....or your brain. Whats the difference between Nickelback and those bands? They all suck. I just heard another band today called crossfade that sounds just like those shitty bands. There is no redeeming quality about any of them i'm sorry if you happen to be a fan of them. But I guarentee you if you just do a little digging you'll find some better bands with more potential but chances are, you're probably a fan of those bands because you haven't searched for any good music besides changing the knob on the radio. But if if you do some searching and still like to listen to nickelback then thats perfectly acceptable.
    Firebird84
    dnirvine
    I for one like Nickelback and have gone to two of their shows, and boy they put on good shows. After seeing this review, I am gonna go buy that DVD. For one, I like Nickelback and for two, I want to go to Sturgis as my parents have gone many times on their bikes.
    HotDogs1
    Firebird84 wrote: It's weird how Nickelback have become the #1 band to hate on. No one thinks The Beatles did some faggot-ass soft, brit-**** lollipop music. U2 is one the biggest rock bands - ROCK? Really!? David Bowie have been called a musical genius? Really? C'mon... Bon Jovi is just the best rockin' band ever.... They rock real, and do not put out a single soft-rock/pop soundin' song as a single like NB eh? Red Hot Chilli Peppers - called a great rock band. ROCK? C'mon.. Burn it To The Ground and Side Of A Bullet IS ROCK! And Californication is? It's funny and sad really, how some bands are so legit to hate on, especially NB but def not U2, The Beatles, Prince, M. Jackson... Try bashing them at a social event.... u'd be dead right.... but do the NB-bash and oh yeah that's such a faggot band, and the singer has LONG HAIR.... Wow that is so bad.... and no normal for rock bands... eh.....
    uhh people do hate on U2, here's an example: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/... worst but U2 contributed to music back in the day they're more pop/rock. I personally don't like david bowie but i can atleast respect him because alot of good bands cite him as a huge influence...the reason why is beyond me but i guess he was good back in the 70s when that kind of music was new. bon jovi? really? people still listen to that guy? he's terrible unless you listen to poison and whitesnake and all of those other cheesy hairmetal bands then i guess nickelback and saliva are up your alley then. the chili peppers are one of the best rock bands around, they came out in the 80s, didn't conform to that hairmetal flavor of the week bullshit, they did their own thing, it caught on and in the 90s they got successful, they didn't lose their original fans and aquired alot more fans. at the time they came out they were way ahead of their time they had such an original of music that still holds up to this day, of course the no talent copycat bands came along and screwed that idea up but you cant hate on the chili peppers dude especially with john frusciante in the band that guy is a genius. just his riffs alone are by far better than nickelback songs. just bc rhcp doesn't over-distort their guitar makes them not rock? i guarentee if you ever went to a RHCP show that wasnt at an arena but in a smaller venue compared to a nickelback show in a smaller venue...or any venue actually, you would be singing a different story if it werent for the beatles there would not be a nickelback by the way.....and what does nickelback singer having long hair have to do with anything? he could have short hair and he'd still suck. most good bands happen to have long hair it doesnt change their music though
    Mainer
    HotDogs1
    Mainer wrote: wtf, I'm so ****ing sick of all you whiney lttle dickheads, posting your bullshit comments on a reveiw you probably didn't even read, just to bash Nickelback. I like Nickelback, I got the censored version of Live at Sturgis. And I for one love it. Yes, the censoring was a little un-needed, but so ****ing what. You couldn't do any ****ing better.
    yes i could and i already have
    BigPaws
    I think if you take out the words and change the tempo slightly, every F**kin one of their songs are made with a cookie cutter. If only GG Allin was here to throw shit at them.
    metalh3ad88
    jesus next theyll be having stories about like the Jonas brothers on here. Funny how the user rating is 2.8
    jimmy_neutron
    i was kinda weirded out by thr little snippet on the main page. It had Nickelback and "raunchy show" in the same sentence. *shudder*
    Thyrfing
    Paroxysm
    Nickelback wrote a couple of nice songs here and there, but they have to write bad ones too for the radio. Too bad the solo in Side of a Bullet wasn't written by one them.
    Mr. Hand
    Whereas you go apeshit for Thyrfing, in which case you were born to be chastised, lmao (i mean that in a good way) rofl, i could honestly write music for the rest of Nickelbacks career blindfolded with earplugs. It's such simplistic and boring 4 chord garbage. I'm pretty sure everyone of their songs follows the EXACT same pattern. Verse+Pre-Chorus+Chorus(Repeat 2-3 times)+Acoustic Break of Pre-Chorus+Chorus, yet it's what everybody and their dog wants to listen to... It's a ****ing mystery IMO
    TheAmenCorner89
    Lohnanmilitia
    great DVD. Theres 2 sides to this band and that kind of bugs me. They have their heavy rock shit, and then the radio hits. On the DVD live show, they'll get into a groove, and then kill it with one of the we have to play this cause it sells song. Nickelback succeeds the most when playing faster rock tunes like Because of You, still awesome though. Very mad i missed them after seeing this.
    guitarlad89
    Thyrfing wrote: God damn this band is so annoying. They grew up like a couple miles away from me so everyone goes apeshit for Nickelback and I can't stand it.
    Amen.....well, at least Rush makes up for their mistakes
    Jvig43
    I die a little inside everytime one of their songs comes up on the radio.
    ChevyChe 23
    RageAgnstUrJaw
    I gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of this band, but I went and saw them once with some friends because they were in town and there weren't any other concerts/events going on and these guys do put on one hell of a show. Not the best concert I've ever seen, but definitely worth seeing. Its funny how so many people on this site rag this band, but I can safely say, after seeing a lot of the bands that people praise on here, that Nickelback puts on a far better rock concert than a lot of them. Once again, not a huge fan of this band, but they know how the hell to put on a good show.
    Galvatron
    Paroxysm
    Nickelback wrote a couple of good songs, but also a lot of bad ones aimed for the radio and mainstream crowd. That said, their heavier songs kick ass.
    lul
    how could they have 2 songs that are exactly the same,.. uncool
    <the_last>
    cakeandpiemofo
    One of the few bands I can safely say as an open minded person, that has nothing good about them.
    Ironpriest
    agreed. they even look like try hards in that lame video that is on tv all the time!
    Dooley666
    wrote: People rip on these guys far too often. There are far worse bands out there that are just as simple, if not more simple as Nickelback. Yeah, so what if they have a template for most of their songs. Almost any other band in the mainstream does nowadays, but these guys can make it sound good. No one can deny the catchyness of some of their stuff and their shit just makes you feel good. So why rip on them? Enjoy them for what they are, not what they aren't. They're not a band made to break the mould, they simply want to make good, catchy music that their fans love and thats what they do.
    the reason people rip on nickleback so much is because THEY SOLD OUT. the first two albums were just straight forward rock and roll and they made a big fanbase on that then silverside up, which is still a decent album they showed signs of their transition. and now well its pretty obvious what they are now just a mainstreem band that rights songs for the majority to make money and not for themselves. though i will admit there is ussually one good song on there newer albums
    Ktool The Girth
    bassplayer18A7X
    ChevyChe 23 wrote: TheAmenCorner89 wrote: Why does everyone seem to hate this band? Just because they got popular they are 'sellouts'. I don't see why, they've written plenty of great, catchy songs (The only one I didn't like was 'Rockstar'). And before you start saying that I'm not underground enough, I like plenty of non commercial, technical and extreme bands (I won't bore you with a list) but there's nothing wrong with enjoying a good rock catchy rock song from time to time. No one hates them for that reason. A majority like Nickleback because it sounds like everything else, and that's what people who only listen to mainstream radio like them so much is because it's the only music they know and are used to. Everyone on the internet is used to hearing many different styles of music and hear a Nickleback song and say "WTF!!! My ears are bleeding from boredom."
    exactly!