Live At Sturgis [DVD] review by Nickelback

• Released: Dec 2, 2008
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 9
Nickelback: Live At Sturgis [DVD]

The latest DVD release from Nickelback is a bit of an oddity, and that fact is in large part due to its ties to Walmart. But before we get into that, fans can be assured that in terms of musical consistency, the Canadian natives come close to sounding flawless on Live At Sturgis. Recorded in 2006 at what can only be called the promised land for bikers - Sturgis, South Dakota - the new DVD shows off exactly why Nickelback (love 'em or hate 'em) has become such a staying power on the rock scene. Chad Kroeger's live vocals at times actually top the studio recordings, while the more rock-oriented singles are given a nice dose of added distortion. The main issue with Live At Sturgis is that the no-holds-barred, gritty live show is transformed into a PG to PG-13, Walmart-friendly creation. In terms of the playlist, you forget how many hit singles the band has had until you hear Nickelback play them in a full concert. The band delivers 12 tracks, with hits like How You Remind Me, Too Bad, Photograph, and Never Again all making the cut. Out of all of the hits, there will be one where even the Nickelback naysayers will be nodding their heads in agreement. In the last half of the show Kroeger introduces the song Side of a Bullet, which was written about the horrendous death of Dimebag Darrell. A huge projection screen displays images that pertain to the specific songs playing (ie, Photograph shows multiple photos) throughout the night, and during Side of a Bullet we are given a thoughtful montage of Dimebag's life. Kroeger also explains that the solo in that track is actually a collection of various outtakes from Dimebag's work with Pantera. Okay, so we all know that everyone from AC/DC to Guns N' Roses is giving specific retailers exclusive selling power of their latest releases. Live At Sturgis is a Walmart exclusive (although it can be found at quite a few other stores online right now), and this is one DVD that's not a good fit for the squeaky clean megastore. First of all, every curse word uttered by Kroeger is bleeped out. Oh, of course, I did hear the word titties, so apparently that passes as okay with the censors. Then you've got the multiple flashed breasts that are being covered up by mysterious, shadowy, black bras. The editors must have had a ball coloring those all in. Given that these issues arise every few minutes, the DVD doesn't seem like it's in line with a Walmart exclusive - nor does it maintain the spirit of Sturgis.

Content — 9
As was said earlier, the musical content of Live At Sturgis is fairly solid and Nickelback fans should enjoy it thoroughly. Some might be bothered that solos are few and far between, but if the bonus section does include a portion of Daniel Adair's drum solo. It's hard to say why that couldn't have been kept in the main attraction, but there are a lot of odd choices made with this DVD. The extras include a behind-the-scenes look at Nickelback's life on the road, which details some of their daily concerns, whether that be the benefits of B-12 shots or finding a gym in which to workout. Another nice addition was a brief, but informative look at the Sturgis event aptly titled Sturgis 101. If you're not familiar with the annual biker extravaganza, that section will give you all the history behind the event. Other extras include photo stills from the concert shown while Photograph is playing, as well as the video for Rockstar.

Production Quality — 9
Live At Sturgis is a gorgeous-looking piece of film, thanks in large part to the 15 hi-def cameras that were used to record the event. You get every angle imaginable, and there are some pretty creative shots throughout. Some fans might be bothered by the fact that, like many other DVDs out there, there are just too many camera shots coming at you. Instead of holding the attention on Kroeger or a guitar solo or anything for that matter, the film will cut away to another image. They manage to ease off slightly during ballads like Someday, but it's still a bit manic. That being said, it's still beautiful to watch and plenty of effort was taken in the making of the DVD.

This is a release that Nickelback fans should definitely enjoy, and you might even find the over-the-top censoring fairly humorous. On the other hand, there are so many bleeps or shadowed-out breasts that it often takes away from the music itself. It doesn't necessarily live up to the uninhibited nature of Sturgis to go the Walmart route, but it was likely a decision by the record label. That being said, you get all the hits performed exceptionally well and a refreshing, down-to-earth look at the band when they're not playing in front of thousands of fans.

gtmom
    Corporate rock. Eeeeuw. He looks too "styled" in the photo to seem very manly... I bet he's a bitch to be around.
    Snoopz
    Lohnanmilitia
    Stupid that its censored. Fuck walmart! But anyone who hates this band should just listen to their new album dark horses. One of the best albums of the year. Its sick!
    Jasonbts
    BriGuy7727 wrote: Guess you can't edit posts. I saw Nickelback open for Bon Jovi a few years ago & they sounded great whenever they played songs that weren't their popular hits. Nickelback could turn their image around & not be hated on so much if they released singles that were more hard rock than 'Someday' or 'If Nobody Cared'...'Side of a Bullet' is a sick song, but I don't really think it was ever released as a single, although I may be wrong. I guess it's whatever the mainstream wants to put out...it's just a shame.
    it is sad. i personally like all their stuff. they are really good live too. It sucks to see them be considered so "popish". They are really good. They probably only release the tracks that they think will sell more albums. And lets admit it, they pop fans out number the hard rock fans, unfortunaltly
    BriGuy7727
    Snoopz
    rogerneeb wrote: if nickelback doesn't want their stuff censored, don't let walmart sell it, hello!?1?
    Yeah, I can't agree more, but I think it's a brand-name thing, coz may be they found that it'd be better anyways if it's produced by walmart, or they've signed kinda contract with walmart, coz they did a performance at walmart soundcheck right before the release of the DVD.
    BriGuy7727
    Maybe they'll be an explicit version coming out somewhere else? That just seems so silly to have only a censored version of a concert. When you go to a concert, you expect that wild antics will happen, that's why going to a concert is so much better than just listening to the album.
    Weybl Himself
    Something tells me Nickelback had little say in the matter. Live DVDs are payed for by the record company, therefore they own the footage and all the rights related to the footage. So the Walmart decision can be put down to Roadrunner, not Nickelback. Nice review too man
    rogerneeb
    taytay8b
    fujuhappyface wrote: First of all, who are these more talented musicians people are talking about? Second, if you can make music that anyone in the world would want to listen to, then that's talent. If you like the sound of something, awesome. I can say I like Paramore just as much as Metallica. Or techno. Or that one song by Jason Mraz. Sure its one song, but I liked it, so who gives a crap if it's popular or indie or underground or even embarassing. Music is just pleasing sounds so open your ears and and go listen to some Enya
    That is the most inspiring and right post i've ever read! That is the most inspiring and right post
    travlnmn41
    This is the Ultimate Guitar forum, not the official Nickelback forum. I have every right to post here with my opinion, just as you do. You're the one acting like a 10-year-old for flaming people who don't agree with you.
    Firebird84
    I got the un-censored version of the DVD, and it's actually not Timmy playing the intro (and outro) for Someday... It's Ryan Peake on a Telecaster.
    Snoopz wrote: Nickelback rocks as usual, I've downloaded the audio of the show, OMG! chad's voice was so amazing! even If you listened to someday, they put a new acoustic intro trough the song which was played by chad's technician, "Timmy",wow man that was amazing...and chad was so funny during the performance, humorous.In adittion Daniel adair did some quite good solos, I remember in Woke up this morning he created a crazy beat! love it & ryan was amazing, he did some improvization at the end of someday wow! and some effects! damn he was gr8, besides the greatest soul shaker "Mike Kroeger" was f***** awesome!!, Nickelback are the best \m/
    sidvicious_91
    Rajah wrote: travlnmn41 wrote: Powerhouse wrote: Anyway...Nickelback may sound like a cookie-cutter rock band on the radio, but their live show is pure, no-holds-barred rock. And it's actually pretty kick ass. I'm sure Winger was "kick ass" in concert, too, expert. I enjoyed Winger when I saw them live a couple of years ago. NewSkewl wrote: Yep. Their fanbase is all 12 year olds, which explains the censoring of breasts on the video. What would they censor if twelve year old girls were flashing their tits? Nothing. Shot you down. The breasts aren't censored on my DVD. sidvicious_91 wrote: sidvicious_91 wrote: I say, Fuck nickelback!!! Down with this generic rock shit, and lets bring back more talented musicians!!!! And, anyone that replies negatively to this, I just have to say, good job figuring out the computer!!! you are so smart, my nickelback loving special ed friend!!! now put your damn helmet back on!!! dude, you are 100% right. Yes, you and yourself agree with each other. How ironic. Time for you to lead the way and become one of these "talented musicians" you mention. Can't wait to see you live!
    oh, i will put on a good show. just you wait
    chrispetersen
    No, Nickelback don't play the most complex music. It isn't for everyone. But they DO NOT deserve the shit they get from people who seem to have some misguided sense of superiority that they believe gives them the right to dump all over what is some decent music in a lot of peoples eyes. So get off your pedestal and do something constructive other than hating something that gives a lot of people a lot of joy. I saw Nickelback last year play roughly the same set as the DVD, and it was awesome, truly awesome. To deny that they put on a good show is to question what a good show is, and the DVD captures a lot of that. Oh, and I got the DVD for Christmas here in the UK. Don't know where it was bought, but it's totally uncensored other than the Dimebag video, which from what I remember is straight off MTV2 and was censored when I saw them live too. Don't want it censored, get it online or something.
    Rajah
    I enjoyed Winger when I saw them live a couple of years ago.
    The breasts aren't censored on my DVD.
    WyldeMan666
    Gormanilius wrote: AdenZerda wrote: Powerhouse wrote: Most bands who have any kind of commercial success have to establish a signature sound for themselves. If your aim as a musician is to have "commercial success", you'll see no respect from me. Never become a musicians just to make money. Due so for self expression. Do so, so that you are able to evolve and keep true to your heart. Artists who make a song that is fake(as in a love song that is written about a non-exsistant girl) it makes me sick. Music must be inspired to be true to the soul.
    I disagree with this lots of great song are storys that people tell or hear like Movies are mostly made up but I bet you watch them without that outlook, my example is the song "Copperhead Road" I dont think the song happened to Steve Earle but its a good song about a story he found interesting so take it into consideration
    Merdico
    Nickleback... Lead singer looks like a lion... and their music sucks really bad...
    a drummer
    terrible, they're fake. Music is for passion not money, and that what theyre in it for
    ttremper
    Nickelback: worthless radio garbage I care not how good they might be live, they literally recycle the same chord progs for consecutive albums Defink2012 knows whats up, The Mars Volta destroy face.
    ma99ot
    this dude (the singer) looks like the long lost brother of Gaahl (Gorgoroth)... lol
    Shabalaba
    If you don't like them they why even post? you have to have the maturity of a 10 year old to jump on the 'I hate Nickelback' bandwagon. The fact that it is censored is a bit stupid considering it's Nickelback as the DVD would still sell at a higher age rating but like Weyble Himself said it's Roadrunner that sells the film not Nickelback.
    mlukeroberts222
    Commercial...commercial...commercial. Look, I saw Nicketlback a couple of years ago in Atlanta and they absolutely sucked. I've seen opening acts that put on a better show.
    Defink2012
    Nickelback sucks ass and that is the end of discussion lol if you want to have a list of actually talented bands then I can help you out. The Mars Volta, Tool, Modest Mouse, Red Hot Chilli Peppers,311, Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones and many more, hopefully Nickelback will do us all a favor and quit making shitty music that only people with no taste in music would listen to, it just does nothing for me at all
    travlnmn41
    I'm sure Winger was "kick ass" in concert, too, expert.
    yankovicfan3125
    Gormanilius wrote: AdenZerda wrote: Never become a musicians just to make money. Due so for self expression. Do so, so that you are able to evolve and keep true to your heart. Artists who make a song that is fake(as in a love song that is written about a non-exsistant girl) it makes me sick. Music must be inspired to be true to the soul.
    I don't see anything wrong with writing a song about problems with an imaginary girl as long as the feelings you describe are unforced. I'm not the best lyricst so sometimes I make up a character in my mind but leave it open so anyone can put someone they know into it. But being a musician just for money is pointless. Everyone can tell, and nobody likes them, except for 12 year old girls. And unless your a pedophile, you don't want your fanbase to be 12 year old girls.
    taytay8b
    Sure they're generic and sorta lame, but man are they catchy. I like Nickelback, although I do admit they're a bunch of tools who write the same song over again.
    Gormanilius
    darklink927
    [quote=travlnmn41]Here we go again with this Nickelback crap. People, listen to their songs! If you can't tell there's a "sameness" about them, you're not much of a musician. Most of their songs are in 4/4 time, with robotic chord changes on the last beat. Get on Youtube and search for "Nickelback split song" and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. No wonder rock music remains in a coma, when bands like this are making MILLIONS.[/quote] This is a typical example of people who really cannot understand music. If i were to say that i liked Jay Z (apart from the fact i'm on the wrong website!) what right do you have to judge the music? And since when was it compulsary to play complicated music to be any good? The 'classic' music varies in complications. The point is: if they make people happy by listening to it, why bother saying anything? Do you seriously think that someone's gonna read your comment and go "OK then, I'll stop listening to their music" merely because you think their music is too simplistic? I personally don't like fall out boy for instance (BLOODY PETE WENTZ!) but free speech doesn't entitle you to judge people if they don't like the same music as you. COULD YOU PEOPLE NOT JUST DECLARE BEFORE YOU POST THAT'S YOU ARE MERELY EXPRESSING YOUR OPINION! SAVE US ALL THE EFFORT! this is my opinion.
    mr.glavin
    lol it got a 1/10 reveiw in rocksound AND kerrang !! gutted but i think it at least deserved a 0
    Dr. Smaptikins
    APerfectTool22 wrote: Why doesn't anyone like bands with talent nowadays? There wouldn't be any of these terrible, generic radio-rock bullshit bands if you ****ing retards had any musical taste at all. And since you all suck so much, the rest of us have to suffer and hear this dogshit everytime we turn around.
    agreed.
    APerfectTool22
    APerfectTool22
    BlackSymphony6
    Powerhouse wrote: My guess is you're not much of a musician. Most bands who have any kind of commercial success have to establish a signature sound for themselves. Nickelback did just that, and even if their music is basically watered-down grunge mixed with arena/radio-friendly rock, they're obviously pretty damn good at it. This kind of music makes MILLIONS for that very reason, they play music that people like. Now get over it and stop bitching.
    lol their own signature sound? are you kidding me? nickleback a probably the most generic and bland group in modern rock. A signature sound is exactly what their lacking.
    travlnmn41
    Powerhouse said: >>Anyway...Nickelback may sound like a cookie-cutter rock band on the radio, but their live show is pure, no-holds-barred rock. And it's actually pretty kick ass.
    Powerhouse
    My guess is you're not much of a musician. Most bands who have any kind of commercial success have to establish a signature sound for themselves. Nickelback did just that, and even if their music is basically watered-down grunge mixed with arena/radio-friendly rock, they're obviously pretty damn good at it. This kind of music makes MILLIONS for that very reason, they play music that people like. Now get over it and stop bitching. Anyway...Nickelback may sound like a cookie-cutter rock band on the radio, but their live show is pure, no-holds-barred rock. And it's actually pretty kick ass.
    Eternium
    I agree. The point of being in a band is to make your own music, unless you're in a gay tribute band. Sadly, the original bands rarely get much attention and the "I wanna be rich" bands that are following the latest trend get payed. But in the end, originally wins since it influences the next generation while the others die out. I have no respect for any band that writes a song like Rockstar.
    AdenZerda
    Huffman : Attempting to read that approached the threshold of causing physical pain.
    Huffman
    Gahk !!!!! Y do ppl come to bash??? Personnally. I love nickelback, but obveusly ppl are entitled to therd own. Opinion. This isnt a recomendation to go around bashing shit but people can do what they want. My point however is the niclelback does NOT suck. Sure u might not enjoy their music; fine. They have, though, made 6 records, the past 4 of which were billboard successful, and they have made a shitlpad of money for themselves. So maby u dont e jpy thrm, fine but they are still a talented, enjoyable, and successful band, which proly more than can be said for most of u flaimers
    Huffman
    Gahk !!!!! Y do ppl come to bash??? Personnally. I love nickelback, but obveusly ppl are entitled to therd own. Opinion. This isnt a recomendation to go around bashing shit but people can do what they want. My point however is the niclelback does NOT suck. Sure u might not enjoy their music; fine. They have, though, made 5 records, the
    AdenZerda