No Fixed Address Review

Nickelback: No Fixed Address
Released: November 17, 2014
Genre: Post-Grunge, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock
Label: Republic Records
Nickelback breaks new ground with a funk song and a rap song while still retaining the core sound that makes them one of the most loved and hated bands in the world.
 Lyrics: 6.5
 5.3
 6.3
 4.3
 10,470
reviews (2) pictures (1) 37 comments vote for this album:
No Fixed Address Featured review by: UG Team, on november 28, 2014

Sound: Nickelback is the band that everybody loves to hate. It is understandable that people would not like a band that is immensely famous from rewriting the same album three or four times. Yet, AC/DC doesn't get nearly as much criticism. Personally, I like both bands. I think the criticism is for the most part unfounded. I think "Dark Horse" is one of the best albums of the 2000s (every song was exceptional) and I was a fan of all the top twenty singles from "All the Right Reasons" except for "Photograph." At the same time, most of their albums have exactly eleven songs, run almost precisely forty minutes, and the order of the first three songs go: hard rock opener - catchy hard rock single - ballad/soft single. And then of course there was that time when lead singer/guitarist Chad Kroeger said that he intensely studies radio hits and attempts to embody their elements in Nickelback songs. Even if Nickelback's songwriting does get formulaic at times, it always has the potential to blossom into something new and exciting.

With "No Fixed Address," Nickelback more or less sticks with their established formula. The album has eleven songs, runs about forty minutes, and the first three songs are in the order I described above. There is a a mix of hard songs and soft songs, there are few guitar solos, and the guitars are always in a drop tuning. Thankfully, there is also barely any using of electronic/MIDI instruments, maybe a keyboard here or there.

From a production standpoint, "No Fixed Address" may be Nickelback's most polished record. All of their albums before "Dark Horse" had a raw production feel, but ever since Nickelback collaborated with John "Mutt" Lange on "Dark Horse," their sound has steadily become more practiced and polished. On this album, there are many instances of volume swells, vocal effects, or instrument tones that are changed from a natural tone to something tailored to a specific situation. Sometimes these effects are used well, but most of the time, they are just a reminder of the softening of Nickelback's sound.

Nickelback does however get creative with a couple of songs on the album. "Edge of a Revolution" is new territory for Nickelback on two fronts; it is a politically charged song (though it criticizes the already most criticized parts of the government while offering no solution) and it is also the first time, I believe, where Nickelback dedicates a section of the song to a crowd sing-along. In fact, it is probably the first good sing-along song released by Nickelback since "Rockstar."

"Got Me Runnin' Round" is uniquely tailored to fit the rapper Flo Rida, who makes a guest appearance on this song. "She Keeps Me Up" is a nice departure from Nickelback's signature style. This song features some female vocals as well as a distinct funk feel. While Nickelback is not known for taking risks, they do not fall short when they do. // 8

Lyrics: Chad Kroeger's vocals are as powerful as they always are. If there's one thing that defines Nickelback, it his voice. Likewise, if there's one thing on this album that is exactly same as past albums, it is his voice. Kroeger's vocal style is pretty one-dimensional, but at least it is a very good one dimension. His vocals are so similar from track to track, that I often find myself interchanging choruses from different songs. Nevertheless, his voice is unique and considering it isn't cracking under pressure, Kroeger still has one of the best voices in rock.

From a lyrical standpoint, Kroeger discusses the standard subjects: sex with girls, drugs with girls, relationships with girls, and (I know you saw this one coming) politics. See, since Nickelback songs usually deal exclusively with girls or partying, a political song, even a pretty normal one, is new ground for Nickelback. One other noticeable thing from a lyrical standpoint is that there are no songs about domestic abuse (or violence in general). It appears that this transition to softer lyrics mirrors the transition to a softer sound in general. On a positive note, Chad Kroeger's lyrics, no matter how trivial the topic, always flow well. His lyrics are never disjointed, abstract ideas; they are definite, solid thoughts and feelings that flow well in sequence, although the -ution rhymes in "Edge of a Revolution" are a bit of a stretch.

Here are some lyrics from that song: "Hey, hey, just obey/Your secret's safe with the NSA/In God we trust or the CIA?/Standing on the edge of a revolution/No we won't give up, we won't go away/'Cause we're not about to live in this mass delusion/No we don't wanna hear another word you say/'Cause we know they're all depending on mass confusion/No we can't turn back, we can't turn away/'Cause it's time we all relied on the last solution/No we won't lay down and accept this fate/'Cause we're standing on the edge of a revolution" // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is an improvement from "Here and Now" but it is still worse than most of their albums before that. The main problem with this album is that only one or two of the songs are memorable, and even then, they are not as memorable as Nickelback's past hits. Considering that Nickelback albums are really more like collections of singles, it is fitting to denote a few worth listening to. The best hard rock song is "Edge of a Revolution." The best ballad/soft rock song is "Satellite." The most unique song is "She Keeps Me Up" and the best all-around-sounds-like-Nickelback song is "The Hammer's Coming Down."

In conclusion, this album is good for a solid listen or two, but at the end of the day, I'm just going to go back to "Dark Horse." // 7

- Parker Abt (c) 2014

No Fixed Address Reviewed by: KylebaDyle117, on january 12, 2015

Sound: Chad Kroeger's vocals are reproduced about the same they've been since their 2005 release of "All the Right Reasons": Throaty and snarling one moment, soft and emotional the next. Nickelback has always been good at essentially re-writing their songs and making them sound just different enough to keep their fan base interested. This album doesn't fully utilize the drumming abilities that Daniel Adair has shown he's capable of in "All the Right Reasons," "Dark Horse" (2008), and "Here and Now" (2011). Ryan Peake's guitar playing and Mike Kroeger's bass playing are still great, but are not at their best. Overall musically the band seemed to be holding back from the heavier music that got them on the map and have instead turned more towards a pop sound that, while, some fans may love, others will feel let down. // 5

Lyrics: Lyrics for "No Fixed Address" follow typically the same trend that Nickelback has used from the start: rhyme pretty much every single line, even if the lyric might not be the best, or may even be in need of total replacement. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo/interlude, chorus, end song. This album feels almost half-made, like the band was trying to reach a deadline, so they just went with the first thing they could think of. This album had great potential to be another good-selling release to more than just the usual Nickelback fan base, but unfortunately they dropped the ball in that regard. On a good note, Chad's vocals are right on target for the heavier songs, as well the ballad/love songs and pop tracks. // 6

Overall Impression: I say this all from the perspective of a longtime fan: I like this album, but it was somewhat disappointing. While I can point to a few great songs ("Edge of a Revolution," "Sister Sin," "Get 'Em Up"), the rest of the album felt mediocre in comparison to almost every other album Nickelback has made.

"No Fixed Address" featured songs that seem more at home in a dance club than a Nickelback album ("She Keeps Me Up," "Got Me Running 'Round" feat. Flo Rida), the almost mandatory ballad/love song ("Satellite," "Miss You," "The Hammer's Coming Down") along with a song destined to be overplayed at high school graduations everywhere alongside "Photograph": "What Are You Waiting For?," the album's second radio hit.

Ultimately, "No Fixed Address" does not measure up to an album like "All the Right Reasons," "The Long Road," or "Dark Horse." It had potential, but didn't quite hit the mark of being a memorable album for Nickelback fans, at least this one. If you are interested in the band's music, listen to the aforementioned albums. If not, then this album may not be for you. It feels like a half-done blowjob: initially thrilling, ultimately disappointing. // 5

Comments