Silver Side Up review by Nickelback

• Released: Sep 11, 2001
Nickelback: Silver Side Up

Now this is the reason that Nickelback are my favourite band! And now, allow me to take you through the album, one amazing song at a time. 01. Never Again - a mind-blowing introduction to the album, that has one of the roughest riffs on the album, and succeeds to maintain it's edge. Along with Chad Kroegers course voice, it makes for a great song! 02. How You Remind Me - we will never forget this one! This is the song that the whole album orientates around. Yes, How you remind me is Nickelback at their awe-inspiring finest. With the metaphorical verses and the anthemic chorus and bridge, the song shows you what this album 'is all about'! 03. Woke Up This Morning - along with Ryan Peake, Chad sings at a fast pace (only matched by songs "Flat on the floor" (on "The Long Road" album) and "Animals" (on the "All The Right Reasons" album)) and is accompanied by a heavy, ringing guitar riff. Ironically, try playing this in the morning. It'll wake you right up! 04. Too Bad - a Nickelback song that tells a great story of a rather grimy childhood, along with the struggles of later life. Accompanied by a tragic video, "Too Bad" is a great song that contains all of the things that Nickelback are: cracking vocals and sublime riffs. 05. Just For - Chad conveys his bloodlust in this track, with a rather heavy feel to it. Although not as good as the other songs on the album, it still makes for a good listen. 06. Hollywood - probably the best riff on the album, Hollywood uses electronic devices in the chorus, to make the song oh so much more great! Another song with the Nickelback signature structure, the song is well worth taking note of. 07. Money Bought - nothing special with this one really. However, the guitar riff is pretty good and the lyrics tell of what Nickelback hate about the way snobby people are. 08. Where Do I Hide - another good story in this song, "Where Do I Hide" tells the tale of a guy on the run, that (as you have guessed) doesn't have anywhere to hide. Belter. 09. Hangnail - I didn't rate this one when I first heard it, but it grows on you after the 3rd listen. Probably their worst (if you can even call it that) song on the album, Hangnail has yet another nice riff thrown in for good measure. 10. Good Times Gone - Not for us their not, as the album has seemed to get better and better! The last song on the album, Good times gone gives a very mellow feel, and is tinged with a hint of country. A really nice, smooth song to round it all off. Overall Nickelback at their best. Nice one Chad, Ryan, Mike and Nik (real name: Ryan). How will you best this?

The lyrics are simply stunning. Each song tells one hell of a story as songs should. The lyrics vary, from better to best! The metaphors that Chad uses in these songs (like "How You Remind Me") sstick firmly in your brain. You wouldn't scrape 'em out even if you used a shovel! Now the question is: can Nickelback go beyond this? Answer: of course they can.

This album is the jewel in Nickelback's nu-metal crown. This album is definitely better than both "The Curb" and "The State" put together. Is it better than the next two albums? In my opinion yes. Although, "All The Right Reasons" and "The Long Road" come very close to "Silver Side Up". Well done guys, you did it! The best songs on the album are "How You Remind Me", "Never Again", "Woke Up This Morning", "Too Bad" and "Good Times Gone". To be perfectly honest, every song on the album is excellent! This album got me into music. If it weren't for Nickelback, I would not be playing and writing this now. Thanks Nickelback! I owe you one. I do hate something though, it's too short! Why couldn't you have filled it with more of your magnificence?

sumfears
    it's a good album I like there softer rock and the lead singers voice is awsome!/