Silver Side Up review by Nickelback

• Released: Sep 11, 2001
Nickelback: Silver Side Up

Nickelback has always had a rough sound, with hard-hitting, tight riffs that drill into you. That sound is presented here, with the opening track Never Again. I especially love the bass line, and once the guitar riff comes in, it's just the best. I think all the songs, besides How You Remind Me show a very dirty, and gritty sound, which makes Nickelback who they are.

Chad Kroeger is the main songwriter. In his lyrics, he shows us someone who's been tortured through emotions, are is just bitter and angery. I feel the best song lyric wise on this album is Hangnail, with expressive language and lyrics that say something, but mean something else with keeping it's agressive sound. The thing I like most about Nickelback is Chad Kroeger's throaty shouts and his raspy voice. Chad has a very distinct voice, and goes well with the music he plays.

Silver Side Up was released on September 11th, 2001, a time when America was in shock after the attacks on the World Trade Center. Silver Side Up gave people a wake up call with agressive lyrics and riffs. When I picked up this album, and heard it was released on 9/11, the first thing I did was look at the song list. With songs titled Woke Up This Morning, Where Do I Hide? and Good Times Gone, I don't know, I guess I thought, in such a time of peril, they release an album with songs like these that relate to the attacks. Anyway, below is what I think of each song on Silver Side Up. 01. Never Again - Silver Side Up opens up with a track about spousal abuse. Through the eyes of a child, who watches his "father" beat his mother daily, I presume. I think it's a great opener to an album like this. 02. How You Remind Me - the song that propelled Nickelback to stardom. Somewhat of a power ballad, Chad's voice is fantastic on this song. 03. Woke Up This Morning - this is my second favorite on this album. It has great lyrics, and wonderful riffs that just appeal to you. 04. Too Bad - Chad tells the story of how his father left when he was just a child. The thing that I like about this song is the solo, which is awesome. 05. Just For - this song was originally on their debut, Curb. Recreated fro Silver Side Up, this tells the tale of a man, who wishes he could exact revenge on a man for hurting a woman he cares for. 06. Hollywood - is a pretty good song with grinding guitars and pounding drum beats. Includes a voicebox on this song. 07. Money Bought - the beginning starts as a clean guitar riff, which quickly turns into a heavy rock and roll riff. It's not the best on the album, it's just mediocre in my opinion. 08. Where Do I Hide - my favorite off of Silver Side Up. Very fun to play on guitar, and has an awesome beginning. The solo is sick also. 09. Hangnail - an awesome and killer intro riff. One of the best off of the album, Hangnail is a great track. 10. Good Times Gone - a perfect closer to an album like this. Good Times Gone has sort of a southern rock feel to it, and Chad's vocals puts the cherry on top for this song. I had high hopes for this album, and it pulled through. Although some tracks are weaker than others at times, you won't be disappointed with Silver Side Up, probably Nickelback's best album.

ESPman6505+
    BY FAR the Best nickelback album!...I wish they would write songs like these again....such a good CD. Too Bad and Good Times Gone are my favs.
    koolfoolinapool
    Nite_Marez wrote: pwninator123 wrote: A Poe wrote: Nickelback sux the Big One then why would you comment? because it needs to be said. the only reason nickelback even got signed was cause dumb 12 yrold girls with money to burn buy their crap. they cant even write new original songs case and point this album
    That is true. The most mainstream band out today next to bullshit like MCR, FOB, Hinder, so on and so forth.
    Nite_Marez