The State review by Nickelback

• Released: Mar 7, 2000
Nickelback: The State

The first time I heard "The State", I was totally shocked because it was a totally different sound from their new albums and to be honest I liked it a Lot more. "The State" made me relate to lead singer Chad Kroeger and his childhood days. I'd say that quite a lot of distortion was used inn the guitars and the drums were loud and powerful.

Lyrics, as for lyrics, Kroeger seemed to relate a couple songs to drug use. Probably a reference to his teenage years. His songs on this album refer to his life I'm assuming. In "Leader Of Men" Kroeger is in a dream world but then comes back into real world in the heavy part of the song. Kroeger can scream in "Breathe" and be soft in "Leader Of Men", All I know is, Kroeger has a unique voice and has very good vocal range.

I'd say that this album is a lot like Nirvana's "Nevermind". Most impressive songs have to be "Breathe", "Cowboy Hat", "Leader Of Men", "Old Enough", "Worthy To Say", "Diggin This", "Deep", "One Last Run", "Not Leavin Yet", "Hold Out Your Hand", and the freaking acoustic of "Leader Of Men" is just Awesome! I love everything about this album, the cover, the back, the inside, the lyric book, the CD, Everything! If I lost this album, I have Wal-Mart on speed dial to get another one. But that ain't happening because I carry it everywhere!