The State Review

Lyrics: 8.7
 7.8
 8.5
The State Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2003

Sound: The guitars sound as if they were recorded over 20 years ago and recycled for this, Nickelback's first major-label album. Even though the guitars sound old, they still sound cool. Not enough guitar solos though. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are okay. Some of the rhymes are kind of cheesy. Either that or there really is some meaning behind those. // 6

Overall Impression: In the long run, I don't think this was Nickelback's best effort. This was an okay album, but Silver Side Up and The Long Road are a lot better. I would reluctantly buy it again if it were lost or stolen. // 6

The State Reviewed by: canadian_woo, on december 09, 2004

Sound: This is the albums only downfall and it isn't really the whole music itself it's just really the guitar work. The guitar work doesn't sound very good at all in most songs. However this is made up for by Chad Kroegers voice which is at its best on this album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics as always with Nickelback are great and give life to the album. They also help to over shadow the questionable guitar work. I believe Chad Kroeger has one of the best voices going around at the moment and has a real gift for coming up with great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This isn't Nickelbacks best CD but it is definitely a close second. As I said before I didn't enjoy the guitar work on the album much but that didn't dampen my opinion on the whole album. It's a great CD with great lyrics are for the most part music. My favorite tracks on the album are; "Old Enough", "Leader Of Men" and "Worthy To Say". If this album were lost or stolen I would buy it again because it is a good CD. I recommend anyone considering buying this to do so, I don't think you will be disappointed. // 8

The State Reviewed by: ChayceDavis#1DD, on may 11, 2012

Sound: The first time I heard "The State", I was totally shocked because it was a totally different sound from their new albums and to be honest I liked it a Lot more. "The State" made me relate to lead singer Chad Kroeger and his childhood days. I'd say that quite a lot of distortion was used inn the guitars and the drums were loud and powerful. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics, as for lyrics, Kroeger seemed to relate a couple songs to drug use. Probably a reference to his teenage years. His songs on this album refer to his life I'm assuming. In "Leader Of Men" Kroeger is in a dream world but then comes back into real world in the heavy part of the song. Kroeger can scream in "Breathe" and be soft in "Leader Of Men", All I know is, Kroeger has a unique voice and has very good vocal range. // 10

Overall Impression: I'd say that this album is a lot like Nirvana's "Nevermind". Most impressive songs have to be "Breathe", "Cowboy Hat", "Leader Of Men", "Old Enough", "Worthy To Say", "Diggin This", "Deep", "One Last Run", "Not Leavin Yet", "Hold Out Your Hand", and the freaking acoustic of "Leader Of Men" is just Awesome! I love everything about this album, the cover, the back, the inside, the lyric book, the CD, Everything! If I lost this album, I have Wal-Mart on speed dial to get another one. But that ain't happening because I carry it everywhere! // 10

Comments