A New Disease Is Born review by Nightrage

• Released: Apr 17, 2007
Nightrage: A New Disease Is Born

This band has been around for a while but the first actual album I heard from them is this one, there latest one and let me just say I"m very impressed. Though I have't heard their older work this stuff is good. The band claims to be a melodic death metal band but some songs have that metalcore feel, though there are plenty of melo-death style guitar lines throughout the album. What I like about this album is the way the songs are structured. There's no unsual timings but there are some sweet rythms (think Self Revolution by Killswitch Engage) and the way some vocal lines are repeated and various stuff. The album has it's death metal drumming, guitar solos, thrash influences and some songs like Reconcile have that metalcore clean vocals.

The lyrics can get catchy in songs like in Scathing ("Falsification of the human touch, waves breaking with a roar" just listen) and Death-Like Silence but overall some of it does not make sense seeing as how the way they're sung and the way they're written doesn't relate (some lines sound like broken sentences). Overall I think the lyrics are alright nothing special like Opeth. The lyrics are yelled like in metalcore screaming which is why the songs seem like a mix with melodic death, but at the same time the yelling sounds a bit like high pitched grunts. There are also some clean vocals but that shouldn't be a turn off since they're done right.

My main favorites on this album include Spiral, Scathing, Death-Like Silence, De-fame, Surge of Pity, and pretty much the whole album except this one song. The album has some awesome guitar riffs, and the solos remind of Arch Enemy. The album has one instrumental, the title track. I like it. Reconcile, though, sounds like an attempt to be mainstream. To me it just doesn't fit in. It's got its cool guitar leads but the clean vocals and lyrics don't fit in. In general it's a solid album. I go by what is memorable for being good I find most of these songs memorable (can't get Death-like silence out of my head). In a genre they say can get repetitive (metalcore), I think this album is nice breath of fresh air.

trav_555
    this album was pretty good aye, my mate told me about em nd yeah its pretty sweet, good if ya like ya metal
    Kestral
    Gus G isnt the only one, for the first two albums Tomas Lindberg, former AT THE GATES frontman was the lead vocalist for Nightrage.