Sweet Vengeance review by Nightrage

• Released: Jun 30, 2003
Nightrage: Sweet Vengeance

Probably their least popular release to date, this was Nightrage's first effort; and it stands as their best until this day, in my opinion. There isn't a whole lot to dislike in terms of sounds. We have Gus G firing out some intense riffs (before he rose to fame), Lindberg (perviously from At the Gates) sounding the angriest he's ever been, the drummer pounding away for good measure, the bassist making a great effort and the rythym guitarist providing quite a decent backing. What's great about this band is the lack of a weak link - in most bands, there is always one member who isn't that great at what he does, but with Nightrage's first album, everyone does just as well as each other, which makes for a pleasurable experience. As a side note, the production is excellent and doesn't overdo it.

Whilst Lindberg is not a very technically skilled vocalist, he does have a unique style of screaming and what seems like a natural talent for writing lyrics to suit melodies well; each line never sounds out of place and are suitably timed for epic moments etc. The lyrics are very deep and thought-provoking. Here's an example: 'You lose everything you love Without a touch of emotion Frozen'

Compared to other artists in the genre (such as Arch Enemy), this album stands out above the vast majority of the lot in terms of creativity, production quality and skill. This may not be the biggest album to be released by the band but it's easily worthy of a purchase.

mssrulez
    Personally it's my favourite. I'm looking forward to the new one aswell
    EpiExplorer
    mssrulez wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Good band, not their best album though. Looking forward to the new one this month. Personally it's my favourite. I'm looking forward to the new one aswell
    I'm more of a Martyrs Crown person, it fills in the gap for Dark Tranquility, hopefully Insidious is good, I mean, dat guestlist.