Wearing A Martyr's Crown review by Nightrage

• Released: Jun 22, 2009
Nightrage: Wearing A Martyr's Crown

With this album, Nightrage is returning to their melodeath roots. Their last album, A new Disease is Born, had a more metalcore sound to it. Most of that came from the departure of original singer Tomas Lindberg, of At The Gates fame. The guy who replaced him left after Disease was released. The new singer Antony Hmlinen reminds me of Lindberg, just with a deeper voice. The guitar work by Marios Iliopoulos and Olof Mrck reminds me of when Gus G(who does a guest solo on Sting of Remorse) was with them. Not quite a shred happy as the first two albums, but better then the last album.

Antony does a very good job in vocal delivery here. His style is remincsent of Lindberg, just deeper. It fits the music quite well. I don't know who dose the clean vocal on a few of the tracks, but it sounds like the same guy who did it on their other albums.

This is so far my favorite melodeath album of the year, but with the year only half over and releases like Wintersun 'Time and potentialy a new Dark Tranquillity album, it probably won't remain my favorite. My Favorite song is Mocking Modesty. I can't pick out one think that I really hate on the album, just some of the solos don't quite fit. If it was lost or stolen I would buy it again.

sheaaa
    His voice gets kinda spooky deep (if that even makes sense) in a few of the songs. Awesome.