Dark Passion Play review by Nightwish

• Released: Sep 26, 2007
Nightwish: Dark Passion Play

One era ended in October of 2005 when the band gave the boot to the long time leadsinger Tarja Turunen, but now a new era has started, and Nightwish has relised a new album with their new lead singer Anette Olzon. Two singles later I thought that this album is gouing to be all around trash very easy to ignore. A ten lissens later haven't got the whole picture figured out yet. DPP has so many layers because allmost every song has massive orchestras backing the band. Tuomas Holopainen has made great collaboration's with London Session Orchestra and the Metro Voices Choir and it has payed for this album. The album sound is Epic! The only thing that the orchestra takes away is the bands own saund with the guitars, drums and keybords. But it kinda works with Anettes vocals.

The lyrics are a big factor in Finnish metal bands mainly because they can be humorist. Many mishaps that doesn't seam to work at all. Trying to be more mystical then they are. These lyrics can mean anything and there is a chance that I just don't get the obvious here but there is some clear references that anyone with a clear head can notice. Like the Bye Bye Beatiful. A clear referense to Tarja Turunen and her departure from the band. All around the lyrics department is attleast ok. Some great pieces all over the record but hardly even one song with allthrough great lyrics.

But how does it all come together? Allmost perfectly. Nighwish has made one of the best and somewhat surprising albums of 2007. Actually the departure of Tarja might have been the right thing for Nightwish to stay relevant after so many albums with a singer that had so personal singing voice. Annette is a great singer. Not like Tarja but she has great tones in her voice that works well with the orchestras. Marco Hietalas vocals in the other hand make the bands playing sound better. Annette and Marco work really well together, and both have awesome solo songs. The overal apparence on the album seems way more personal then before with Tarja who's vocals ruled over the bands music. Band sounds more free then they have been in a long time. can't still understand why Eva is on the album? It totaly kills the Drive expecially when the album is so heavy more then massive, 04 Cadence Of Her Last Breath is in my opinion has the greatest hit potential and it's also one of the best songs on the album. No real mishaps exept fot Eva nad that's guite amazing if you think that the album lasts over an hour. I recommend this album to everyone that's a friend of melodic metal or just interessed of what Nightwish has got for us now. An epic album that really puts Nightwish back to the top of melodic metal.

Night_Sonata
    Damn it you beat me to the review! My copy is in the mail coming over from Finland. Yeah I agree with you mate, what I have heard sounds a lot more like an ensemble album, as opposed to Tarja and a backing band. Good review.
    MrJackass
    Goblumich07
    MrJackass wrote: This album i just great! I grew tired of Tarja's voice after 'Once', and Annette is as good as any toher world class singer! And then the sound! It's absolutly fantastic!
    i Agree here. it sounds like more of a band now. some of the instrumentals on this album are just SICK!!!!!
    Jondy
    dammit still waiting for my copy to come in the mail. I like annette's voice, and I'm giving it a proper chance. I know noone will ever fully replace tarja, and nightwish will never sound quite the same, but it's not worse music, just slightly altered.
    War-Dog
    The downfall of Tarja and replaced with Annette Olzon(Long lost olsen twin?) really gives the band a different tone but with keeping the good feel of Nightwish which got me hooked in the first place. Go Tuomas! I love saying his name. Tuomas, Tuomas, Tuomas, We love you!
    bitter.sweet
    wohoo. go finland. i like tarjas voice better. but annette is just different. its not that much worse..
    Eternal_One
    Don't like the album. Don't like the new vocalist. But to each his own I guess.....
    which ones pink
    I've only heard a couple of the new songs, but I think Olzon's vocals go very well with the band, as good as Turunen's. It is very different though, not worse, just different.