Dark Passion Play review by Nightwish

• Released: Sep 26, 2007
Nightwish: Dark Passion Play

"Dark Passion Play" sounds very different from Nightwish's previous albums, besides having Anette Olzon becoming the new lead singer. Their sound on DPP is more progressive and more assertive. I think it definitely suits the style of singing that Anette does. From the epic 14-minute opener "The Poet and the Pendulum" to the slow, but powerful closer "Meadows of Heaven", "Dark Passion Play" definitely solidifies Nightwish as one of the best metal bands out there today!

Tuomas Holopainen, as always, is an amazing songwriter and has wrote some of his best on Dark Passion Play. Most of the songs on DPP are very personal and upfront like the following. The Poet And the Pendulum - about Tuomas him and his own personal struggles. Bye Bye Beautiful - about Tarja and how Tuomas thinks of her former bandmates now. Master Passion Greed - about Tarja's husband, also former manager of Nightwish. Anette Olzon, former Alyson Avenue frontwoman, is completely different from the opera-trained Tarja Turunen. She brings her own sound to the band and, man, she does it really great! When it comes to the songs with her and Marco, their vocals are perfect! When Tarja was in the band, Marco usually gets overpowered by her. Not by Anette. Honestly, Anette is the perfect choice for Nightwish and I wish her the best!

Overall, I love Dark Passion Play. Ever since I first "Eva", I've been dying for this album to come out. It's become my favorite out of all the Nightwish albums so far. Best songs on the album: The Poet and the Pendulum, Bye Bye Beautiful, Amaranth, Eva, Seven Days to the Wolves, The Islander, Master Passion Greed. If this were stolen, I would buy at least two more copies and then go find the person stole it and force 'em to give it back!

Universal_Moon
    i agree with the first review. this is the best album of nightwish so far. sure tarja was good but shes gone now so why does people fights for who the best. Dark Passion Play is my favorite Nightwish album. ! and damn tuomas is a hell of a writer how does he do that!!!!!
    RainbowBassist
    Meh. I was pretty indifferent to it... it seemed to be just alot of nothing at times and I missed the poetic lyrics... they seem to have been replaced with an album full of tarja-driven rants, but i guess if it's that important to Tuomas, then go for it. orchestra sounds amazing though
    Jondy
    this album is absolutely outstanding. the music is fan****ingtastic. as far as the singer goes, come on guys, you know you've all put up with far worse vocals for the sake of the music. there is nothing wrong with annette's voice.
    marianoarnaiz
    I THINK IS REFRESHING NEVER LIKED TARJA CAUSE SHE WAS TO CLOSED, SHE NEVER TRIED TO CHANGE THE OPERETC SINGIN. IF ALL THE SONG WHERE WRITTEN ON THE SAME KEY THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ALL THE SAME. ANETTE CAN CHANGE THE MOOD ONHER VOICE AND HAVE A VERY RESPACTABLE RANGE, I THINK IT WAS A VERY GOOD CHOISE. NOW I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR MORE GUITAR SOLO FROM EMMPU HE ROCKS, AND MARKO SINGIN N MORE SONGS ADDS A NIVE DIFFERNT ABIENTO TO THE ALBUM
    dark_falco3000
    I like most of the songs on this (the Poet and the Pendulum is the definition of awesome, the Seven Days to the Wolves comes somewhere close), but some of them seem way too poppy... particularly Amaranth. I cannot stand that song. It's been the first Nightwish song that I dislike since the Carpenter. Anyway, overall not a bad album, but I prefer their other albums. Nothing will replace Ghost Love Score as my favourite song of all time (alongside Home by Dream Theater)... ever.
    dark_falco3000
    Shor-T Zero
    yeah, a nod to Ghost Love Score! Nice, that song is freakin' epic! I'm pretty fond of DPP, it's a great album in my opinion. Yes, there are more guitar solos in this album. And each of the songs have great taste in their playing. Nightwish hasn't gotten any worse by replacing Tarja, they've taken a different branch (more aimed at the metal part on some songs) of the symphonic metal genre that they created...or at least put on the map. I really like it, and I say anyone who is a die hard Tarja fan...give this one a chance, you're bound to love it...it's Nightwish, come on! Tuomas lyrics and songwriting skills rock, and the rest of the band rules all the same!
    Confetti
    dark_falco3000 wrote: and to the ***** who said Eva was bad because the album was heavy, it's called variation. Good bands use it. Soft songs are occasionally good, and all of Nightwish's soft songs have been great, and Eva is no exception. Sure, it's not my favourite, but it's still an incredibly good song.
    Is it so hard to understand that it just doesent fit? The album has a lot of variations but Eva just breaks it all down. Eva isnt even a bad song but its totally out of place.
    it's called variation. Good bands use it.
    Yeah and good bands make records were everything is at the right place. Blind hype