Dark Passion Play review by Nightwish

• Released: Sep 26, 2007
Nightwish: Dark Passion Play

In this album Nightwish still mantains it's unique, epic, and enchanting sound.There are impressive orchastral sound in each song which add color to each song. Annette's voice compliments the band's song just as well as Tarja, but has a much stronger voice. The ways she sings each song is full of passion and beauty. It has also excellent keyboard work, prob the most impressive work on any Nightwish album. There is also more beauty and the beast vocals here (female and male singers) which makes it more balanced between the two. The intrumentals on here is pure sick! It seems as though this album was well written and well thought out.

Although some are hidden behind metaphores, the lyrics are mostly passionate. "Meadows of Heaven" is a good example of passion. If you listen to the lyrics through the whole song you really feel what she'd singing. The lyrics fit the song well. Although compared to Tarja constantly, I believe she is a much more trained singer. She has a much more stronge voice then Tarjas fragile soft voice. Anette has been called a "pop" singer, but her voice fits metal very well.

There is no band that you can compare to Nightwish. Although some want to compare them to Within Temptation, there is a big difference between the two. There are few bands that can acomplish this kind of creativity. The most impressive songs on the album are Bye Bye Beautiful, Cadence To Her Last Breath, and 7 Days to The Wolves. If it were stolen or lost I'd go out and but it in a heartbeat!

Pingis_Or_Death
    I hate the songs they've been playing on the radio from this album... Nightwish will never be the same without Tarja.
    Aziraphale
    Anette has a sick range, but all this tounge-in-check prance-around-eurovision-style thing she does feels so bad in NW. I still have the utmost respect for Tuomas' songwriting but I'm just a little disappointed. Can you imagine Anette in the Bless The Child or Nemo videos? Ugh.
    Drool_Mouse
    I'm going to say that Tuomas specifically wrote the music to fit Anette's voice. He'd be stupid to write the same music, and push Anette so hard that the music sounds bad. The musical composition of the album is amazing. Besides, it's not always about videos, in fact, I'd say it all has very little to do with videos; it's about the music itself. I like both the old and new Nightwish for different reasons. Stop bashing Nightwish for getting a new singer, just because she was a pop singer. She has a good voice, and somehow it seems to keep up with the darker and heavier music than I really would expect from a pop singer. Tarja was good, but then again, it's what happens when your husband is your personal manager/agent. This album is great. But as to Master Passion Greed being a shred masterpiece, I'd have to disagree. It's an awesome riff, and rhythm, but there is no real shredding going on in the song.
    Paroxysm
    DDP was better than Once; so much for being "worse" without Tarja. And people always said Anette is a pop singer. Tell me, what makes her one? It is her soft singing?
    xCoilx
    hey guys what exactly does Tarjas solo album sound like?i didnt check it out yet