Dark Passion Play review by Nightwish

• Released: Sep 26, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Nightwish: Dark Passion Play

For the sound, it's cool that Tuomas (Keyboards) is adding more in the symphony department, and that Marco (Bass, Male Vocals) is getting more liberty in singing. This gives the band a more grunge/mainstream sound that will probably catch on with North American listeners. The simple guitar lines helps with this too. On the other hand, hiring Anette (Female Vocals), who was in an ABBA cover band before signing on with Nightwish, was not quite the smartest move. Nightwish's major selling point was the combination of metal, symphony, and opera (provided by Tarja Turunen, former singer). It will be difficult for them to pull off any of their old songs with Anette's simple voice, but some of their new stuff sounds okay.

The lyrics are just as deep as the rest of the albums. My biggest peeve is the bashing of Tarja Turunen in the song "Bye Bye Beautiful". Granted, she may not have been the best person to do business with, but treating her like a cancerous growth that is finally gotten rid of is not something to be writing songs about. Songs like that should be done with like a torn flag. Burn it, and not to a CD.

Overall, I'd say that they no longer sound like Nightwish. They do have some good new stuff, some bad new stuff, and some in between. If you're expecting amazing vocal work, I wouldn't see them in concert, but their bonus disc totally redeems them. Check out the "Orchestral Version" of "Amaranth". There's my view on this.

Surveyor
    I would probably like this better if they had changed the band name. I know it's silly, but It's just the principle of the thing. The orchestra factor might just sell me on this, but i want to know that i'm not ging to be buying the Nightwish equivalent of St. Anger.
    Surveyor
    Bought the album, and I have to ask...did they really need to drag Emmpu(guitar) and Jukka(drums) down to the studio to do...well nothing? things do get kicked up occasionally though. Master passion greed may be one of the best songs on the album, and is the only one in which Marcko's bass is audible. The best song though has to be last of the wilds, which is the token instrumental that exists to remind us all that Empuu can play the guitar. Unfortunately, Tuomas, the manager, or the producer or sound mixer, whoever is in charage of saying what goes on the album, elected not to throw Jukka a bone, and we have some very boring(or once again, in audible) drumming throughout the overture. And I'm sorry to say, but any semblance of elegence or subtlety, anything that constitutes Tuomus ingenious lyrical stylings is completely absent from "Bye bye beautiful" which reads like a My chemical romance song. It's not all bad though, poet and the pendulum is probably the biggest thing Nightwish has ever done. too bad it's the first thing we hear on the album. 'The heart I once had' is notable for avoiding the creative hole Tuomas has dug for himself musically, and maintains a distinct melody, that blends the guita and keys well while complementing Annette's purty voice. Of course, it's also one of the most Un-nightwishy songs I've ever heard. All things considered, Sahara is probably the best summary of the album. for the first thirty seconds of the overture, it's, well you all heard it, right? IT was awesome. You settle in for a wild ride, and then for he rest of the time, the tempo slows down to a hault, and there is almost no variation in...anything. save for the orchestra, the real stars of this effort. but saving the listener from the monotony with 'meadows of heaven' which was way too campy(by nightwish standards) not to love, and the church choir offered a "did I really hear that on a metal album" factor.
    Eccer
    Well, I can see why people would react to "meadows of heaven", but in order to truly understand what Tuomas were thinking, you'll have to feel the same as he did. I can't find a single fault in this, even if the lyrics get a little bit too deep in "Bye Bye beautiful". Awesome, epic in every sense, a masterpiece.
    spencer Cr
    Surveyor wrote: Eccer wrote: Well, I can see why people would react to "meadows of heaven", but in order to truly understand what Tuomas were thinking, you'll have to feel the same as he did. Why does it sound like a christmas song? AM I the only one who gets that? I mean, there's no sleigh bells or glockenspiels...maybe the choir is making me think that.
    well man i get this "christmas feel" you speak of on a lot of the songs on the album, it think it's just sort of how they are. but deffinatly, meadows, escapist, the islander, orchestral amaranth, eva and some parts in poet and 7 days have this very christmasy or wintery feel to them it's weird but i think that's what i like about the album the most. Once had a very "ocean/pirate" kind of sound, and dpp has a sort of "wintery/chirtsmas" feel. just another reason of how nightwish never makes the same album twice
    silvernirvash
    This CD is good for any time i'd say. For sure it has a very christmas sound at times like last of the wilds, but it's also got that midevil sound that you just wanna listen to when you're laying in the grass in your backyard you know? it's relaxing at times. And at other times it's a real rush like the song Whoever Brings The Night gives me. as for the christmasy feeling it gives you i'd say it gives more of a dark christmas feeling. it's just an awsome CD in general guys 5/5 stars here! *****. Gotta be their best CD yet
    Gregoric
    messenjah wrote: its wierd but i actually think that Tarja is better without Nightwish and that Nightwish is better without Tarja... i just recently bought My Winter Storm (Tarja's solo album) and its possibly the most remarkable symphonic metal i have ever heard. It features more orchestral music than Nightwish ever did and it fits her very operatic voice much better. And the same applies to Nightwish, Anettes more pop-sounding voice it more fitting to their slightly more straight up rock approach.
    wtf nightwish had about 70 guest musiscians on DPP and tarja had 2 chellos and synth...wtf?
    Sashkello
    Hmm... I read so much positive reviews on this album... I really expected to hear something new and interesting. I listened it about 10 times, each time thinking what everyone finding in it?.. I can't find anything interesting at all in this album. The single song I liked is Amaranth, but it is only in comparison with other dull songs... When Tuomas is crying in some songs as if someone is killing him, I feel scary and simply want to skip to the next song... And the vocal is not unique at all - it makes Nightwish look like Xandria (Amaranth is very like some songs of this band), or Epica, Lunatica etc... Recently I listened to the live bootleg from Monreal. Oh my God, only listening to the Sleeping Sun says much - it is not that wonderful song which it was with Tarja... And listen to the I Wish I had an Angel... The singer is not really singing, but shouting sometimes... and intonations are really as if it is pop, not metal singer... IMHO...