Once review by Nightwish

• Released: Jun 7, 2004
Nightwish: Once

This album is an epic. I got this for xmas and I've been repeatedly listening to it since. There is pure musical innovation and inspiration in this album. I love it. The guitar does mostly rhythmic/strumming styles but he has some cool solos also. Also, I love how the bass keeps a catchy tempo when there's no guitar, and the same goes for the drums. Real technical keyboarding too. On the album there's even a chorus group and a symphony that projects a massive rush of sound that accompanies the band's metal sound. The writing credits for the music go to the keyboardist, Tuomas Holopainen, although the guitarist and bassist helped out on a few songs.

Tarja Turunen: best female metal singer on this planet. Don't think Nightwish's sound is identical to Lacuna Coil or Evanescence. No, this band's different. Tarja was a classically trained opera singer, I believe. Most graceful performances in all the songs. I like how she seems to sort of blend in with the chorus in parts of songs (check out her singing in "Ghost Love Score"). Also, the bassist, Marco Hietala, performs some male backing vocals in some songs, including the hit single, "Wish I Had An Angel". I like how he's not a screamo-type person and I like how he uses clean vocals, but sings them with real force and power. On "Creek Mary's Blood", there is some guest performers chanting in Native American words in parts of the song, as the lyrics are about how the white man took the land away from the Native Americans, and some reference to the Trail of Tears. Also, listen to her singing in "Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan", where she sings in her own Finnish. It's beautiful. That track is the symphonies, some acoustic guitar, piano and a bit of chorus. One of my favorites. The lyrics are Finnish so I don't know what she's singing but I think it's a beautiful language and I might try to learn it. The writing credits for the lyrics go again to Tuomas Holopainen. Just him, I believe. He writes great lyrics too. Very inspirational. The almost operatic singing flows very well with them.

I wanted this album at first just because of the hits "Wish I Had An Angel" and "Nemo", but when I listened to the whole album I realized there were much more to it, and there were even better songs. I can listen to this album day after day and won't get tired of it. Best songs are "Wish I Had An Angel", "Nemo", "Creek Mary's Blood", "Ghost Love Score" (a 10-minute epic and my personal favorite), "Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan", and "Higher Than Hope". But then again, there isn't a weak song on this album and they're all a great piece of work. I got the bonus-tracks version of this album so it also contained to bonus tracks, "White Night Fantasy", and "Live To Tell The Tale", which are also great work. If you're into bands with female singers, buy this album and it'll inspire a thing or two. A definite epic. Yes, definitely worth buying. Nightwish don't quite compare to other artists, and they are unique, and that's what I like about them. I also plan to buy their previous album, 'Century Child' someday. I heard it was great. Go get it now and you won't regret it.