Once review by Nightwish

• Released: Jun 7, 2004
Nightwish: Once

For those of you who haven't heard Nightwish, you don't know what you're missing. They are one of the greatest bands out there. To describe their sound, it's power/goth metal with some more heavy songs and some amazing ballads. The first thing one would notice listening to this album is the intricate and incredible guitar work of guitarist Emppu. The riffs are fast, intricate, and catchy, with enough power to make you head bang, especially in "Romanticide". Then there is the drums, held down by Jukka. Fast double bass combined with some complex tom and cymbal work create a sound which is not often duplicated in metal drummers. Listen to it, and you will know what I mean. Then there's the bass, which is thrown down my Marco, who is also a backing/main vocalist, and even though this is his second album, fits in well with the band. Tuomas the mastermind keyboardist has cool synthesizers, pianos, and other effects going that really make Nightwish's music unique. Last, but far from least, their until recently amzing singer, Tarja. Beautiful in figure and voice, their is no better metal female singer out there, none. Singing both operatic and more metal, her skills are unmatched. Those of you familiar with Lacuna Coil, Evanescence, and Arch Enemy, this is nothing like them. None of those bands has the originality and incredible sound displayed by these 5 people. The full blown orchestra doesnt hurt either.

Tuomas, the keyboarder, writes all the lyrics as well as much of the music, and the lyrics are amazing. Here is a brief overview of the album as a whole. 01. Dark Chest Of Wonder - begins with a charging riff followed by orchestra, drums, and the whole shibang. Great opener, really gets one goining. 02. Wish I Had An Angel - one of the singles off this album, and the first song I ever heard by them. Once again a fast metal song with a great riff, and great lyrics. 03. Nemo - another single, and one of the best Nightwish songs ever. This is a ballad, which begins soft but ends as an orchestral monster. This was the song that drew me into this band. Tarja's voice shows incredible emotion, one of their best. 4. Planet Hell - what can I say besides hell yeah? One of the heaviest songs, builds slowly with a choir, orchestra, and then drums. Some great double bass, and good singing by both Tarja and Marco, do not miss this. 05. Creek Mary's Blood - this is different. A song about Native Americans and how they lost their land. Interesting, begins with tribal sounds and acoustic guitar. The only thing I don't like about the song is the chanting at the end. good effect, but I could have personally done without it. 06. The Siren - a much softer song, once again featuring dual vocals. Not much more to say. 07. Dead Gardens - like the Siren, a good song, but not one of my favorites. Still, it is not one to skip over. 08. Romanticide - here's a metal song for you guys. Sweet riff, sweet double bass, and sweet solo. Goes into a heavy breakdown of sorts at the end, where Marco and Tarja once again switch off vocals. Heaviest song on the album, and great too. 09. Ghost Love Score - there is no way to describe this song. It is an epic, 10+ minute ballad that goes from soft to heavy and is amazing all the way through. Though long, it never gets boring, Tarja sings like an angel, the lyrics take your breath away, and the orchestra compliments the music like never before. If "Ever Dream" isnt the greatest Nightwish ballad, this is. IF ever a song deserved better than a 10, its this. 10. Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan - this is a soft balld with acoustic sung in their native Finnish. It's interesting, and it's a nice break, and pretty, but also feels out of place, and is greatly overshadowed by the other ballads on this album. 11. Higher Than Hope - once again starts with acoustic, but gets heavier. Has some of the best lyrics on the entire album, and once again Tarja's voice will send shivers down your spine. Great song. 12. White Night Fantasy - good mellow song, not too complex but once again has different instruments worked in to create a great effect. Another winner by Nightwish. 13. Live To Tell The Tale - starts off sounding almost Christmas like, but turns much darker and heavier with great distorted guitar and much darker singing by Tarja, not so operatic. Great song, yet again.

This is by far the best Nightwish album to date, and possibly the best album that I own. There is not a song worth skipping, and everyone is amazing. The people in this band are some of the most talented there are. I love the lyrics, the singing, the guitar, the drumming, everything. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this album. If you like Lacuna Coil or Evanescence, or any goth, death, black, power, or just heavy metal, get this album. If you like Nightwish, get this album. If you like music at all, get this album. You will not regret it.

ledzppln1969
    same thing here man. i heard "Nemo", went out and bought the cd, and they are currently my favorite band as well.
    philman42487
    nightiwish is amazing, certainly underrated, this is a great albulm but wishmaster is a little better, and century child is by far the best
    xCoilx
    i think century get ssomewhat boring at times but its stil great. Once is the most immpresive and it keeps my attention
    nightwishmaster
    I have liked nw from their first album...i am stil la fan after so many years and they never cease to amaze