Once review by Nightwish

• Released: Jun 7, 2004
Nightwish: Once

The Once album sounds different than the average Nightwish albums. Although the band has released some great cd's and dvd's, Once is an epic CD whith great sound quality. The style still remains cold and kind of sad gothic only this time it seems more alive. It's like the band recorded it in an abandoned cathedral or a recked castle.

Before the release of Once, word had gotten out and practically every Nightwish fan knew that this album was Mrs. Turunen's last "job" with Nghtwish. Still she did a great job, as usuall and helped the songs come to life through the amazing lyrics. Some of my friends said that Nightwish are bercoming weared out and make commercial songs just to sell more. I don't beleive that. Maybe the lyrics were more understandable than usuall, you don't have to go through dictionaries to find out "What is the poet trying to say here?" Still the lyrics are great, in my humble opinion, and deep as usual! Great job!

From the album I have to try hard to descermine the best track Planet Hell and Romanticide are great, I think, but still, every track is awesome. It's not like you're listening the same and the same over and over again, every track is a different, deep and very complicated story, coming out of one of ther best gothic bands I've ever heard. Did you know that the cover is the work of Mr Vargo? I didn't. This album is a must. You don't have to be a Nightwish maniac to buy it. If it ever wears out (I've been listening to it without stop). I'm not gonna buy it again. I'll buy the special edition.

RainbowBassist
    \m/(>_<)\m/
    out of all the albums theyve released i dont rate this one to high, i like the fact theyve got for a completely new direction. but i find this album harder to get into. dont get me wrong there are some great tracks on this album (imo nemo is not one of them)
    RainbowGuitar42
    RainbowBassist : They are INCREDIBLE. It's so sad that not very many people have heard of them, and when they do, they don't take any of the musical elements into consideration... such as Tarja's opera singing... it's amazing! No one seems to care about opera any more...
    I do... You know! Ghost Love Score is truly an epic. I love the bassoon solos! Yes, those are bassoons. You may not know that (not RainbowBassist), because the bassoons are SOOO rejected - I play the bassoon!
    Black-Metal
    on the first review, i think you underrated tuomas. his keyboards play all the orchestral parts as well as an actual orchestra. so its like, duel. and the nightwish music is quite reliant on tuomas, his synths and pianos feauture nearly all the way through nearly every song. i think tuomas is the highlight of nightwish, as opposed to emppu. but i can excuse this as this is a guitar website