Once review by Nightwish

• Released: Jun 7, 2004
Nightwish: Once

Nightwish's sound developed into a more orchestrated/darker symphonic metal than from previous albums. Also with more vocals from bassist/vocalist Marco Hietala this makes for a great album. With the songwriting of Tuomas Holopained and Classically trained Tarja Turunen theyr stronger than ever on Once. This has become theyr most popular album due to the sudden grow in popularity from their video for "Wish I Had An Angel".

Nightwish's lyrics can sometimes be easy to comprehend the message behind them, others can only make sense to songwriter Tuomas. But on a few tracks the lyrics are not hard to figure out. In the song "Plant Hell" it has many references, including Gaia (An ancient Greek Titan), the ferryman (an ancient greek ferryman who would give people rides across the river Styx) God, The Ark of the Covenant, a dead world, paradise, and many other things. But with the vocals of Tarja Turunen and Marco Hietala every word sung is a masterpiece.

A great album, not my personal favourite, but still a great buy. Notable songs include "Dark Chest Of Wonders", "Wish I Had An Angel", "Plant Hell", "The Sirens", and "Ghost Love Score". I love the orchestration use for the album which gives them an even more epic sound to their already symphonic sound. If this album would be lost, you should buy two copies, if it was stolen, you should find the culperate and beat them.

Mainer
    I heard The Siren, one of my friends suggested it. I had to go out and get the album, amazing
    Jezmic
    Nightwish are at their bombastic best in this album - opening songs, while obviously commercial-driven, are damn catchy and musically brilliant. However, the album seems to lose its focus a bit and wanders around with songs like Creek Mary's Blood, Dead Gardens and Romanticide. But no matter, they are all good in their own right, and any lack of greatness in these songs is made up by Ghost Love Score. WOW that is one truly perfect epic of a track. Individually speaking... Emppu, while still kinda underused, displays some epic riffing skills. Tarja is absolutely incredible, although as usual, who knows what she's saying? Tuomas's operatic stuff is mindblowingly beautiful and really brings the music together. Marco displays some neat bass skills. Jukka the drummer is downright impressive... my 2nd favourite drummer, after Tre Cool. Overall a brilliant, brilliant album. Possibly even better than Dark Passion Play.