Over The Hills And Far Away review by Nightwish

• Released: Apr 30, 2001
Nightwish: Over The Hills And Far Away

Over The Hills And Far Away the follow to Nightwishes popular "Wish Master" is a good, but short CD. It opens with the title track "Over The Hills And Far Away" a Gary Moore cover. The song has an Irish/Scotish feel to it, and Tarja's voice has an impressive range, hitting notes most singer couldn't dream of hitting. The next three songs (10th Man Down, Away, Astral Romance [Remake 2001]) are what you'd expect from any other old Nightwish CD, blazing guitar, amazing key boarding, and breath taking vocals that puts todays rock diva like amy lee to shame.

Key boardest/songwriter Tuomas Holopainen who write most if not all the lyrics of Nightwish does an amzing job. With Tarja's voice and Tuomas's word you can't help but listen to what ever song it is and feel like there is hope. In Astral Romance their old bassist Tony Kappo joins Tarja giving the song a haunting affect.

All though not Nightwish's best album it is one of the better albums I own. Their cover of Over The Hills And Far Away, alone in worth the fourteen dollars. Tarja's voice is one of most amazing voices in metal today. The only problem with this CD is after you get through the four studio songs, they fill the rest of it up with live song. The live songs are good but I'd like to here more original work. If it got lost or stolen I would want another copy but I probley wouldn't get one. It took me forever to find this cd. I eventully found it under a huge stack of cds in a F.Y.E.

NightwishAngel
    This album is really underrated (even though it is an EP). What makes it great is how they perform "Over the Hills and Far Away" in their way, while trying to keep it true to the original version. A must-get for any Nightwish fan
    thrashmonkey
    Nightwish's version of Over the Hills and Far Away is one of my favorite cover songs of all time.
    moody git
    this was the last recording made with bassist sammi vanska (sp) and tony kakko was a guest male vocalist. just thought i'd point that out. it took me a few listens to like othafa if i'm honest, the title track is , but the others took a bit of getting used to. i now love it