Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka review by Nile

• Released: Apr 28, 1998
Nile: Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka

The sound is not quite as polished as something like Whisper Supremacy by Cryptopsy, but to be honest, this production sounds better for this type of music. The vocals are quite brutal and aren't very big in the mix, but the triple vocal attack is nice. Compared to shitloads of copy cat death/grind metallers, this is quite innovative with the egyptian influences and instruments. The instrumentals are creepy and nice, without the band just going all out like on some bands instruments.

Although I know shit all about egyptian myths and stuff of the like, they were a welcome change from a lot of extreme bands which focus on scare tactic gore lyrics, which are fine in moderation. The lyrics/vocals go extremely well with the brutal music and egyptian style themes. If your a history buff or something, youll probably love the lyrics. Some of the lyrics for songs like Barra Edinazzu even use a foreign language of whose name I don't know. In the background on some track, they even incorporated munks which is something I couldn't really see most bands even thinking of using.

I have only downloaded bits and pieces of the other albums (of course I'm gonna buy them) and they seem to have gotten better over time (this is their first widely distributed disc to my knowledge). The definite standout track is Ramses Bringer of War, with its totally fucked up war-sounding beginning. I also really like how Opening of the mouth starts out with a fricking creepy intro and then just builds into some heavy stuff. I love how, like any truly classic record, I can sit through the whole thing and honestly say I like it, which I can't do with the majority of C.D's I own. If you like brutal death and are looking for a newer, interesting band, and haven't checked these guys out, do it now. Many mention In Their Darkened Shrines as their best, and although I haven't found that C.D. yet, this one is gonna be damn hard to beat.

Tormedhammeren
    Wow, you don't like your CD's? I guess I've got about 10 albums I'm somewhat disappointed of. And that's snailpoop in the sewers compared to the total amount of CD's I've got. But I have to agree with you on some level. There are few albums I've really fallen in love with, where every single song is as good as the other. Surprising, inventive, beautiful, mindbending... Anywaaays, this is a great album! A little rough around the edges with poor quality compared to most other modern death metal albums, but it fits them good. Brilliant!