At The Gate Of Sethu review by Nile

• Released: Jun 29, 2012
Nile: At The Gate Of Sethu

This album is incredible. I had an eargasm when I heard "At The Gate Of Sethu". This album contains some of Nile's finest and most brutal guitar work to date. I was slightly disappointed in "Those Whom The Gods Detest", but this album makes up for that in spades. This album features Nile's clearest sounding guitar tracks (their guitar tone is awful on their first albums IMO), which makes it easier to hear why Karl Sanders and Dallas Toler-Wade are some of the best guitarists in the business.

When I listen to Nile, I normally don't focus or have high expectations for any deep or meaningful lyrics. If you're a technical death metal fan you know there's a lack of emphasis of lyrics, the must is most important. If you're a Nile fan you already know the content of their lyrics.

In times of djent and deathcore, it's still nice to see some technical death metal bands can still deliver and Nile does more than that with "At The Gate Of Sethu". This is definitely their best since "Annihilation Of The Wicked". If you're an old school metal head like myself, are a Nile fan, want to hear something interesting, or a fan extreme music buy this album now! You won't be disappointed.

angelo_batio
    Actually I think they put a lot of time and research on their lyrics...
    Burning_Angel
    Clearly you've not heard many albums from this year.
    EpiExplorer
    angelo_batio wrote: I normally don't focus or have high expectations for any deep or meaningful lyrics. Actually I think they put a lot of time and research on their lyrics...
    I read that Sanders has 'vast knowledge of egyptian mythology'. Its a little insulting to the effort he's put in to acquiring that knowledge, Mr Reviewer. Good album, for some reason 2012 has been incredibly lacklustre for good metal albums, this will be in my head for a while.
    xicetraex
    theogonia777 wrote: I'm a big fan of Nile, and I thought that this album was a huge let down. The death metal aspects were watered down across the board in favor of pseudo-proggy elements. In fact, Nuclear Blast went so far as to label the album genre as "Progressive Metal." The vocals were very different, often "shouted," and production was poor (unlike the reviewer, I found the guitar tone to be terrible, particularly how thin it was), and pretty much every song starts out with same little "tribal" sounding drum parts. There really wasn't even a single memorable riff on the whole album. The only two positive things that come to mind are George Kollias's drumming (which is stellar as always) and the solos, which, while not amazing, were actually decent. For me this has always been a major weak spot for Nile: the decision to include the worst solos ever in their songs. I really disliked this album and so far this album is my choice for "Letdown of the Year."
    I'm with this guy. I love Nile's older stuff (not huge on black seeds or catacombs), annihilation of the wicked being my favorite album of theirs. However, I thought this album was just "okay." Don't care what other people say, but I really liked those whom the gods detest, I thought it was a great album, and I welcomed the change in vocals and increase in production heartily. I was hoping they'd continue the trend with Sethu, but they let me down. After a few listens, this album started to grow on me, but it still doesn't compare to their older material, and the production is far from stellar. My 2 cents.
    LightxGrenade
    Whenever someone starts a review by shitting on other genres, I completely stop paying attention. Stop talking about other genres and just review the ****ing album, no one cares if you do or don't like djent or death core. It's like going to a steak house and mentioning that you're not fond of sushi...who give a ****, you're in a steak house. Luckily I know Nile is the shit so I'll check it out despite this shitty album review. Seriously, saying that minimal effort was put into this review would be a compliment.
    theogonia777
    Andrew C. S.
    EpiExplorer wrote: I read that Sanders has 'vast knowledge of egyptian mythology'. Its a little insulting to the effort he's put in to acquiring that knowledge, Mr Reviewer. Good album, for some reason 2012 has been incredibly lacklustre for good metal albums , this will be in my head for a while.
    Have you heard The Contortionist's new album?
    Andragon
    Atrocious review. May you be cursed by the Gods. Though thanks for the heads up as the album slipped under my radar.
    The_Jayroh
    I liked Those Whom the Gods Detest but this album is better in my opinion. I really liked the change in production on this album as well.
    Iommianity
    You know, I dislike Nile, but as far as lyrics and concepts go, they're easily some of the most thought out and interesting in the entire genre. I get the lack of emphasis; I generally don't care about lyrics myself, but they're definitely there, and definitely worth checking out. I owned Annihilation of the Wicked for a long time, and I would read through the booklet even when I didn't have the album on.
    krvolok
    The Hyksos are invading. Hopefully, this will only be an intermediate period in Nile's discography.
    Aays
    I loved the shit out of TWTGD and this looks killer as well.
    Burning_Angel
    EpiExplorer wrote: Burning_Angel wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: for some reason 2012 has been incredibly lacklustre for good metal albums, this will be in my head for a while. Clearly you've not heard many albums from this year. Depends on what you mean by metal. Someone mentioned the contortionist, I heard it and laughed.
    No, not them. I'd laugh too... The world doesnt need any more deathcore or djent or anything. There've been plenty of exemplary releases, however, from Ne Obliviscaris, Wodensthrone, Dodsengel, If these Trees Could Talk, Ahab, Anhedonist, and plenty more if I cared to go into an epic list.
    EpiExplorer
    iommi600
    Dude... Haven't listened to it yet, I'll do it anytime soon. I would not put Nile among my favorite death metal bands, but damn, they're brutal as ****. Gives me some headbanging every time I listen to them.
    Reflection92
    TWTGD was better i think but still another great album from these masters. also review has it all wrong with the lyrics...i find especially with nile the music is structured to emphasise the lyrics! great album...title track is the highlight for me
    VikingBradlev
    theogonia777 wrote: I really disliked this album and so far this album is my choice for "Letdown of the Year."
    I'm giving that one to Gojira. But, I thought this album is pretty good, not as good as Annihilation but nonetheless brutal as hell.