At The Gate Of Sethu review by Nile

• Released: Jun 29, 2012
  • Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Nile: At The Gate Of Sethu

Musically speaking this is a good effort from Nile. George Kolias is outstanding as always, and there are some seriously tasty riffs. This is some of their fastest material to date, which is a feat in it's own right. I'm not a fan of the guitar tone or the overall production though - it does sound far too thin.

The lyrics are to the usual high standard expected of Nile; well written and full of substance. I appreciate their desire to try new angles and ideas, but personally the vocals don't do much for me (particularly Dallas Toler-Wade, who seems to give progressively worse performances with each album). Karl Sanders still has one of the most brutal low vocals I've ever heard, and his input is a welcome respite from all the strained shouting from Dallas. Bring back Chief Spires or Jon Vesano on vocals with Karl!

For me, this album is no better or worse than "TWTGD". I won't be listening to it again for a while, as it didn't grab my attention in any way. If you've never heard Nile before, I would recommend Annihilation of the "Wicked Or In Their Darkened Shrines" as a starting point. This is a let down from one of my top bands. Such a disappointment.

qrEE
    To both reviews - TWTGD is the best album of theirs. Stop crapping on it, it's better the more you listen to it.
    EpiExplorer
    Burning_Angel wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Burning_Angel wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: for some reason 2012 has been incredibly lacklustre for good metal albums, this will be in my head for a while. Clearly you've not heard many albums from this year. Depends on what you mean by metal. Someone mentioned the contortionist, I heard it and laughed. No, not them. I'd laugh too... The world doesnt need any more deathcore or djent or anything. There've been plenty of exemplary releases, however, from Ne Obliviscaris, Wodensthrone, Dodsengel, If these Trees Could Talk, Ahab, Anhedonist, and plenty more if I cared to go into an epic list.
    Actually, I'll give you Ne Obliviscaris. Anyone interested in truly beautiful music should check out Portal of I, their latest album.
    Lol Natures
    I didn't really like this album as much as the previous, and I don't know why. There weren't any standout songs for me.
    DragTheWaters11
    Nile is fantastic, but this one isn't as good as "Those Whom The Gods Detest". It's their fastest album, has their best solos, but is justifiably their most mediocre effort since Ithyphallic. I do really like the album, but only to occasionally put in my stereo to listen to something different than my normal. In which cases, TWTGD, AOW and ITDS will likely make it in there first.