Black Seeds Of Vengeance Review

9.7
 8.1
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
Black Seeds Of Vengeance Reviewed by: valdean, on march 10, 2009

Sound: Black Seeds of Vengeance is Nile's second album. The songs here are really technical, and much tempo- and time signature changes are used. The overall sound is kinda muddy, but this is how this album is supposed to be. Even though, you are still able to hear both low and high notes. The sound is not far from their first album, Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-ka, but I'd say that the sound is more "brutal." They've adapted to a more technical side on their later albums, but I hope that they will go back to something more like this on their next release. The Egyptian influence is great. It's a perfect mix between metal and Egyptian music. I think that this is what makes Nile so unique in the metal community.

The guitars are tuned really low. (Drop A) They kinda blend in with the other instruments, which I think is nice. The drums are really great. Crushing brutality and lots of fills. So to make it clear: This is good. // 10

Lyrics: I think the album is about the lost souls of Ancient Egypt, are coming to destroy the world. I don't have much to say about the lyrics. I'll quote one part, just to give you a basic idea:

"You shall gore them with sticks, hack off their testicles / And cut their phalluses to pieces, suffer none of them to live / Dismemberment and slaughter shall you perform on them / The mighty Sekhmet will devour them."

Karl and Dallas are really good. Their vocals blend perfectly in with the instruments. Dallas has a more distinct sound to his voice, and Karl has these really "wet" and low growls. I couldn't imagine this ablum without these vocals. // 9

Overall Impression: I'll go song by song here.

01.Invocation Of The Gate Of Aat-Ankh-es-en-Amenti: this is kinda an interlude to the next song. (Kinda like on AoTW) Some nice egyptian thing going on in the background for a short while, until it jumps to:
02.Black Seeds Of Vengeance: kicks off with a mayhem of intruments and growls. This song is, well, pure chaos, but yet so evident and great. Great solo and drum work. The chorus/last part is "huge," and it just "rolls" over you. Great song.
03.Defiling The Gates Of Ishtar: great vocals on this one. The first solo has a nice sound to it. And then it goes over to a really heavy part. Some nice sweeps comes in, and the soloing continues. There are some nice guitar stuff going on in this one too. By the end it goes into this egyptian chanting part, and then the instruments kick in. Great part, probably my favourite one on this song.
04.The Black Flame: starts off with some low growling with some weird sounds in the background. This song has a "doomy" feel to it. Jumps between a fast and slow parts. Great riffs in this one.
05. Libation unto the Shades Who Lurk in the Shadows of the Temple of Anhur: this is an instrumental. Nice acoustic guitars in it. Not much more to say.
06.Masturbating the War God: great song with lots of tempo and time signature changes. Many crushing riffs in this one. Low growls, awesome drums, great solos. What more can you ask for?
07.Multitude of Foes: this song just kicks you in the face. Pure brutality. A short song, yet awesome.
08.Chapter for Transforming into a Snake: kicks off with some great drum fills.
Has a really cool thing going on in the background a while before the solo, but it's not so easy to hear. Great solo. I love the tone. The drums on this song are probably the best on the album.
09.Nas Akhu Khan she en Asbiu: Lots of great riffs, but the vocals stand most out on this one, in my opinion. Drums are great.
10.To Dream of Ur: This song is just awesome. Everything is great. I won't say anything else.
11.The Nameless City of the Accursed: can't really say much about this one. Sounds like a ritual or something going on.
12.Khetti Satha Shemsu: pretty much chanting some egyptian thing.

I like it however. Great way to end an album. // 10