Ithyphallic review by Nile

• Released: Jul 17, 2007
Nile: Ithyphallic

Nile is the type of band that will crush you with their incredibly brutal and heavy type of metal, and yet soothe you with their ambient soundscapes. In short, they're a very versatile and talented band. Nile is one of the bands that truly show how diverse the death genre is. On Ithyphallic, we're treated to what at least I consider to be a slight step down in terms of pure sonic production, compared to their previous effort, Annihilation of the Wicked. On the other hand, this album is a tiny bit more diverse than Annihilation, so it can be argued that this type of sound, being more similar to the one on In Their Darkened Shrines fits them better this time around. Either way, it's a very good production.

We're treated to something very unusual, yet something very typical for Nile. As you might've guessed, it's their Egyptian/Middle Eastern themed lyrics (which have a major influence on their music as well). It would be wrong to say Nile are reinventing themselves with the lyrics -- the themes aren't as fresh as they once were, but Nile are so in a league of their own, that they've managed to carve their own little niche within the whole metal spectrum. In sections, the lyrics are very catchy, and I dare say that the lyrics aren't as obscure (ie, you do not need a PhD in Egyptian Mythology to get the hint) this time around, but we're still treated to something that requires a tad more insight and thought than the average Satanic rant.

Nile always seems to deliver -- with their back catalogue they've managed to put the bar ridiculously high, yet they never seem to disappoint. Ithyphallic is definitely not an exception. You have brutality and technical playing pat down, add the ambient sections and some more grooving sections to make the music flow... you can't really ask for more. The vocals are brutal as expected, but they're definitely not unintelligible. Hell, in places the material is very catchy, especially in the choruses. Some people may see this as blasphemy, but Nile manages to mix it so damn well with all the brutality, odd time signatures and unusual themes. Kollias is all over the place and the drumming alone should satisfy your needs -- there's some seriously sick shit going on behind that kit. Nile aren't reinventing the wheel with this release, but why should they when theirs is so much better than that of everyone else?

The Black Salts
    b0ggy wrote: "Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is in the Water" Thats 17 words if your counting, seriously wtf is Karl smoking! But anyway, personally Niles latest is ****ing shit. They make no effort to differentiate between songs, since they pretty much all start off with buried "tech" riffing and a generic, uninterestingly fast drum fill. More to add the production and mixing is just god awful, somehow managing to sound over-produced and overtly raw at the same time. The drums, as noted, sound like complete ass and the guitars are buried beneath them while the vocals weave in and out of prevalence. In short, they haven't progressed at all from their last album. Oh and why the **** did he name the album after names them after the Roman/Greek god of wine's penis.
    You idiot, have you ever listened to Nile? Annihilation of The Wicked's ''Chapter Of Obeisance Before Giving Breath To The Inert One In The Presence Of The Cresent Shaped Horns'' is 18 words. Why do you insult the song's name length on the new album as though Nile have never done that before? They don't need to progress if they're still making great music; there are plenty of bands that manage to release several similar-sounding albums that are amazing. You criticize Nile's album title for translating into the God of wine's penis, and yet you make no comment about ''masturbating the war God'', which creates a lot more gross imagery than this does. It's like you listened to Ithyphallic, blacked out, and forgot everything about Nile's previous work.
    CheifSlapAhoe
    Your right it's nothing new. It's good. But on a side note, my friend said they weren't that good at ozzfest, which is saying a lot since he is a huge fan of theirs.
    slayer7666
    niles amazing this albums good but not as good as annihilation of the wicked.
    zakk_wylde4
    GEARS_OF_DETH wrote: well they put avanged to shame so why comapre them only a 3 man band and look how many people avanged needs come on and jow payne is out the band so they dont really need a bassist
    U've got to be joking, the amount of people in your band doesn't matter. Avenged Sevenfold is nowhere near as brutal as Nile. Can you even compare them? A7x may have more obvious influences but their soaring harmonies are good to listen to. And if you get sick of listening to Pantera they are a nice change. How is it possible to be original in Death Metal? It's a bland genre.
    TreCoolfreako
    I met Nile! And Karl gave me his guitar pick. Haha. I saw them at Ozzfest. Dude. AMAZING. And their new album... KILLER.
    genresrforposer
    Spirit_Crusher wrote: bow to nile or you shall be crushed and melted.
    Well to give some credit to this guy's statement when I arrived at the second stage last Thursday there was a profusely bleeding guy shoving his way to the pit of Nile's set. .... but then you take into account the amount of kids in MCR t's I saw walking out at the very end entirely unscathed and you realize it's up to the concert goers what band gets people the most f'd up.
    22acacia
    How is it possible to be original in Death Metal? It's a bland genre.
    This is one of the most un-educated, moronic things I have ever heard.
    the_bi99man
    Ash on fires wrote: City of Evil is one of the most unoriginal albums ever. But anyway I really want to check these guys out now
    I don't want to turn this whole comment board into a bitch fest over originality, but I have to ask what you have heard before that makes City of Evil "one of the most unoriginal albums ever"? I, myself have been around the block musically quite a lot and I've never heard anything that sounds like City of Evil.
    22acacia wrote: How is it possible to be original in Death Metal? It's a bland genre. This is one of the most un-educated, moronic things I have ever heard.
    I agree. If you're not seeing originality in Death Metal, you're not listening to good Death Metal. The only genre of music that completely lacks originality from all of it's participants is country.
    shellshock1911
    This is the only Death Metal band I'm allowed to listen to lol, because all their stuff is about Egypt not Satan
    Aginor
    Palpatine MD
    Mass_debator
    With any genre that isn't your genre of choice, diversity will seem to be lacking. It takes time to get into the music and pick up on the nuances that distinguish one song from another. I remember when I first tried to get into old school Sepultura way back when, starting with Arise. At first it sounded like the same pretty decent song over and over until you start to pick up on the amazing textures that the band (and Igor and Andreas specifically) added to the songs and now they all sound different. Nile's albums function in pretty much the same way to me. FANTASTIC music though.
    the_bi99man
    b0ggy
    FlyingVManiac
    b0ggy wrote: let me guess, your a fan of the backstreet boys? as said before, you need to listen carefully to the songs to differentiate, other wise your never going to progress in understanding of the death genre. and naming your cd after the wine gods penis is ****ing metal and brutal. go back to your hole where you belong How about you stfu and go listen to your shitty generic soft-core death metal bands like Nile and Behemoth while I go listen to real brutal amd innovative bands like Devour, Wormed, Anata and Lykathea Aflame
    How about you stop trying to be an elitist ****, you obviously are when you call Lykathea more brutal than Nile, and do you think none of us have heard of Wormed?
    DawnClover
    the_bi99man wrote: [...] I was just wondering if anyone knows of a band that plays death metal music like Vehemence, Nile, Behemoth, Necrophagist and such, but with either a drastically different style of vocals (not the low, difficult to understand if you're not REALLY listening, growl) or none at all? Not that I don't like the growl, but I'd be interested to hear something different. Any ideas?
    My band plays a mixture of death and black. we even have some hardcore / metalcore parts in there lol. We wanted to create something original and I think we did. And the vocals are very varied from the gutural death metal, to the screamo, to clean vocs, whisper and black screaming. So I think there's something in there for everyone. If you're interested in listening www.myspace.com/onlytimewilltell1 lol In other stuff, Nile's new album is ****ing awesome >_>
    doomed1
    Krisp wrote: I think it's a really bad record, if you look at the stuff they made before. I don't really think they have done anything really good since "Black Seeds..". I used to think Nile was the kings of death metal, but Behemoth have taken that place in my world. Not that this record isn't showing talent, but i think it is "empty", it can't be compared to what they once created.
    i've heard behemoth and i must disagree, they're good, but nile just has a sound that middle eastern/ egyptian sound that seperates them from the rest this album w\is great, as are all the other nile albums, too bad they could only play 3 songsat ozz fest this year
    doomed1
    the_bi99man wrote: Palpatine MD wrote: zakk_wylde4 wrote: How is it possible to be original in Death Metal? It's a bland genre. Yeah I agree totally. Cryptopsy, Necrophagist, Nile, At the Gates, Death. Bland, Bland, Bland... Woah. Woah. Woah. I can agree with the first few you listed because a lot of modern death metal sounds alike if you're not paying attention, but I had better be reading it wrong because it looks like you just grouped the band, "Death" in with all the others. That, sir, is blasphemy, because they may have contributed to the creation (and naming) of death metal, but they sound nothing like modern death metal, even if you're not really listening. Anyway, I just wanted to ask a question of the death-metal heads in here. I haven't listened to a whole lot of death metal (besides Death), and only recently have begun listen to more and more, ever since my friend gave me a Vehemence CD. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a band that plays death metal music like Vehemence, Nile, Behemoth, Necrophagist and such, but with either a drastically different style of vocals (not the low, difficult to understand if you're not REALLY listening, growl) or none at all? Not that I don't like the growl, but I'd be interested to hear something different. Any ideas?
    Dragonforce will quinch your thirst for vocals that are not of the growling type, be prepared for balzing guitar solos and uplifting lyrics
    Tormedhammeren
    I bought this one before buying 'Shrines' and 'Annihilation' and I loved it. But after hearing it's afore-mentioned predecessors, it was kind of a downer. Not that it's bad, it definitely kicks ass. It's just that you always expect a band to get better and better for each album. That's why this album was a bit of a downer compared to 'Annihilation...', which, In my opinon, is one of the most important releases within the genre. Don't get me wrong, they've not stagnated. They're still as brutal and ravenous as ever, that even Menthu trembles! In conclusion: Compared to my own expectations for the album, I'm not a 100 percent satisfied. But compared to what the rest of the genre has to offer, it's in my top 3 of 2007. I'd give it an 8/10
    GREENWARRI0R
    Behemoth? I lol'd. They suck. While I was unimpressed with Ithyphallic, Nile still reign supreme in my book. As for death metal being bland, listen to Nile's "In Their Darkened Shrines" , Death's well... almost every album. At The Gates pioneered the melo-death genre and are amazing. If you want bland, listen to Dragonforce. Their music has no soul.
    Matteo Nanni
    It's not true that, as many people say, this album is a copy of 'Annihilation'...if you study the construction of the riffs, the devices used by Karl and Dallas to write this album, you understand it's something completely different...check my tabs for 'Laying Fire Upon Apep' 'Annihilation Of The Wicked' to have a confirm.
    powerage225
    I also saw them at Ozzfest and though death metal isnt my favorite genre, I thought they were cool, but I'm still missing out on the "diversity" part I guess you have to listen to the whole album??? But thats what I think is the main problem with the music industry today, so I won't be a hypocrite,and I'll give it a listen
    bobross
    great record, i have to say i liked annihilation of the wicked alot more, but this album is still a Nile album, and is therefore, amazing. cant wait to see them at ozzfest!!
    krazylobster
    Sure they're not breaking heaps of new ground, but who cares - it's fcking awesome music. Ithyphallic pwns.
    a7xsoad
    Inimical
    Yeah, pretty solid album. Just standard Nile and there's nothing wrong with that.
    metalness11
    i always thot nile were so-so on their otther albums, but this one totally impressed me. great stuff
    MetalOxymoron
    Reviewer Pete
    MetalOxymoron wrote: Yes Nile puts out another awsome album. Nile is one of the main reasons, to me, that People are going to Ozzfest this year
    Hey, like Karl put it, you only get so many chances to annihilate poseurs en masse.
    ExplorerFreak
    metalhead_99801
    ExplorerFreak wrote: a7xsoad wrote: This a good review. Awesome band !!! They're breaking alot more ground than many 80% of the bands out there that's for sure ! But then again that's just music these days. That's funny coming from an Avenged Sevenfold fan. Cause they are REEEAL original.
    hahahaha. This Cd kicks serious ass, got it the first day and can't stop listening to it. I let my mom listen to the beginning of "What Can Be Safely Written" and when the machine gun drumming came in she asked if it was humanly possible. Gotta love the NILE!!!!!
    Spankey
    Very good album, but not as good as Annihilation of the Wicked. And I agree the production is not as good as Annihilation of the Wicked. They were amazing at Ozzfest!
    GEARS_OF_DETH