Ithyphallic Review

Nile: Ithyphallic
Release Date: Jul 17, 2007
Label: Nuclear Blast
Genres: Death Metal
One of the most original bands in the death metal genre return... triumphantly?
 8.7
 8.8
 8.5
Ithyphallic Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 03, 2007

Sound: Nile is the type of band that will crush you with their incredibly brutal and heavy type of metal, and yet soothe you with their ambient soundscapes. In short, they're a very versatile and talented band. Nile is one of the bands that truly show how diverse the death genre is. On Ithyphallic, we're treated to what at least I consider to be a slight step down in terms of pure sonic production, compared to their previous effort, Annihilation of the Wicked. On the other hand, this album is a tiny bit more diverse than Annihilation, so it can be argued that this type of sound, being more similar to the one on In Their Darkened Shrines fits them better this time around. Either way, it's a very good production. // 8

Lyrics: We're treated to something very unusual, yet something very typical for Nile. As you might've guessed, it's their Egyptian/Middle Eastern themed lyrics (which have a major influence on their music as well). It would be wrong to say Nile are reinventing themselves with the lyrics -- the themes aren't as fresh as they once were, but Nile are so in a league of their own, that they've managed to carve their own little niche within the whole metal spectrum. In sections, the lyrics are very catchy, and I dare say that the lyrics aren't as obscure (ie, you do not need a PhD in Egyptian Mythology to get the hint) this time around, but we're still treated to something that requires a tad more insight and thought than the average Satanic rant. // 8

Overall Impression: Nile always seems to deliver -- with their back catalogue they've managed to put the bar ridiculously high, yet they never seem to disappoint. Ithyphallic is definitely not an exception. You have brutality and technical playing pat down, add the ambient sections and some more grooving sections to make the music flow... you can't really ask for more. The vocals are brutal as expected, but they're definitely not unintelligible. Hell, in places the material is very catchy, especially in the choruses. Some people may see this as blasphemy, but Nile manages to mix it so damn well with all the brutality, odd time signatures and unusual themes. Kollias is all over the place and the drumming alone should satisfy your needs -- there's some seriously sick shit going on behind that kit. Nile aren't reinventing the wheel with this release, but why should they when theirs is so much better than that of everyone else? // 9

Ithyphallic Reviewed by: MassacreDeicide, on march 29, 2008

Sound: Nile is brutal. That word is what comes to mind when I hear that band name. Speed, intensity, technicality; Nile has it all. I went to Ozzfest 2001-2007, and 2007 by far blew all of it away. Behemoth, Nile, Lamb of God, the set list was amazing, but the stand out was Nile. Ithyphallic had just come out in stores and I bought it that day at Ozzfest. The style is considered brutal and technical death metal. That genre fits them considering they have the heaviest three piece the death metal scene has ever came in contact with. Eat that Green Day. // 10

Lyrics: Their inclusion of Egyptian lore and history along with death and brutality makes an interesting mix. Although with Ithyphallic they went in a different direction. The lyrics with the album don't mix as much as I hoped they would. Lyrics like, "Let the shades of my fathers Curse their faces" make it sound like they took an apocalypse theme instead of a death and brutality theme. it's not too bad though, I appreciate the music much more than the lyrics anyway. Dallas Wade and Karl Sanders have been a duo from 2000 on and have been tearing up the death metal public since. Dallas can play anything and scream anything in any way shape and form. Karl is a guitar guru and has flawless action and fret attack capabilities; they are gods. // 8

Overall Impression: The other bands like Behemoth, Brain Drill, and Cannibal Corpse compare closely with Nile. The speed and intensity that all of the bands bring to stage is unsurpassed by other bands. The songs that stood out to me are; Ithyphallic, Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve its Possessor Against Attacks From He Who Is in the Water, and What Can Be Safely Written. I love the speed, and skill that the trio shows but the lyrics could go back to the old brutality they had in Annihilation of the Wicked. They don't need to change anything else. There is no doubt if I lost it, I would buy it again. // 10

Comments