Those Whom The Gods Detest review by Nile

• Released: Nov 3, 2009
Nile: Those Whom The Gods Detest

Nile is probably one of the most intense, creative and whimsical death metal bands out there. Hailing from South Carolina, more known for it's beaches and occasional hurricanes, you'll think to yourself: Nile? Egypt? South Carolina? Kittens? Well, you are correct. Don't let that fool you, these guys are 110% serious with their lyrical content on Egyptian history and mythology. "Those Whom the Gods Detest" is Nile's most brutal, fast, heavy and intense album to date, combining "Annihilation of the Wicked" and "Ithyphallic" elements with "Black Seeds of Vengeance" and In Their Darkened Shrines". Either way, this was the next evolutionary step in the band's path. To be honest, I was afraid of Nile releasing another album. I was so into Ithyphallic (2007) for the past two years, that it Ithyphallic had to be, the be all, end all for me. I just couldn't imagine anything else being able comparable, let alone, surpass the excellence of Ithyphallic. Karl Sanders, Dallas Toler-Wade and George Kollias are the members of Nile for those of you who have just heard of the band. Karl (Guitars/Vocals), Dallas (Guitars/Vocals), George (BEAST, Drums). I'll give you a quick run down on the musicianship of this album. MAGNIFIQUE. Such great guitar tone in this album. Believe me, I live for strong guitar tone, and these guys have nailed it. The riffs themselves are just brilliant. Fast, heavy, technical and head-bangable. The solos are crazy, but in a good way. They are shredding ripping leads with unusual and unconventional scales. Now for the drums. George Kollias. All hail George, a modern Greek God. What's their to say about Kollias? Nothing. Unfortunately, the English language lacks a word that is equivalent to his performance on this album. Filled with nasty fills, rude quads and blasts, any death metal drummer would cry at the amazing things he is able to do. The greatest part however, is the drum tone. Clear, solid, but at the same time totally acoustic. Some death metal drummers can trigger too much, but besides the bass drums. This album is totally kick ass from a drum point-of-view.

Well, well, well. Lyrics. Figure it out guys, "Nile". What on earth could they be singing about? I'll give you three guesses, but you'll only need one. That's right, Egypt. More specifically, ancient Egyptian mythology and history. More of the same on this album as other albums, as they stay true to their interests. One song however, takes a different turn. "Kafir" deals mostly with Islam, rather than Egypt it's self. Long story short, "Kafiristan" is a province in Afghanistan that resisted Islamic expansion up until 1895. Hell, they even with stood Alexander.. Alexander, THE GREAT. Yeah. So a little bit of a different direction for these guys, but Karl's explanation of the purpose and true meaning of this song is good enough for me to accept it on this album. The vocals themselves are great as per usual. The combination of Dallas' more clearer vocal style with Karl's more old-school, early Cannibal Corpse vocal style, this is sure to make and death-growl fan extremely pleased.

Hmm, where to start.. first off, one of the, if not THE, best album of 2009. It's hard to decide between this or Behemoth's "Evangelion". Everything about this album is right. I can't think of a single thing that would make this album any better. It's just too good to be true. I know I sound like I'm just drooling over this album, but trust me; listen to it, them come back and talk to me. They have gone all out on this album. I hate to have to pick out songs, because every song is memorable and great in their own ways, but if I have to, then I shall. "Kafir", great opening song. I love the lyrical content and they all out heavyness of the guitars. "4th Arra of Dagon": Epic. For clocking in at 8:40, it doesn't get boring at all. "Permitting the Noble Dead to Descend to the Underworld". Short, fast, catchy vocal phrasing, highly memorable song. "Iskander D'hul Karnon" This is probably my favourite. This is the more progressive song off the album I think. Again, catchy, great vocal phrasing and just overall, a well constructed and written song. I can't really think of comparing this to anyone. Nile are really in a league of their own within the death metal genre. It's technical, brutal, progressive and at some points, there is some groove in the album. Basically, if you like death metal, you cannot dislike Nile. It just wouldn't make sense. I say, go out, by the album. You'll be really interested to find that in the booklet, Karl Sanders explains the historical context of all the lyrics, and how they came to write the song lyrically and musically. With all seriousness, I truly believe that this is a special band that has released a special album. You cannot fully grasp a song until you listen to the whole album. Great songs, one after another. I have thus become speechless at describing this album. Listen to it.

Astyan
    Kickass album, to say the least. And pretty good review by the way. I totally agree with the fact that it's going to be hard to choose between this album and Evangelion for the best album of 2009.
    xicetraex
    I love Behemoth, but Evangelion can't even compare to this album. This album is brutal from start to finish; a true death metal masterpiece. Definitely my new favorite Nile album.
    starfire666
    10 without hesitation. Beautiful digipack by the way, go out and ****ing buy it and worship it!!! :
    MXFNCK
    justinb904 is right, a great year for metal albums. And this album is killer too. the second half of 4th Arra of Dagon is immense.
    brocmartens90
    ithyphallic sounded really flat to me, not enough clarity, this album is way better in all cases.
    justinb904
    Damn, two weeks and I just now find out that the album is out. I'll have to get this latter today, would right now but it's 3am. Anywho, from the review and comments it sounds like this album is pretty awesome. Lots of good metal albums this year and should be some good ones early next year.
    Dream Pin
    This album's good, but it just feels like they were trying really really hard to be really brutal when I never really got the impression Nile were all that brutal a band. Instead they chose to be sweeping, epic, monolithic, emotional and powerful. And they happened to just end up being pretty heavy while they were at it. After Ithyphallic everyone started thinking they sucked, so with this it just seems like they got their "LETS TRY AND BE REALLY DETH METULZ LOLOLOL" hats out. Some of this is great, and it's still Nile so it's still heavy as hell, groovy as ****, technical, blah blah, but I just don't feel there's quite as much genuine soul and passion in this one. But I'm probably totally wrong. Still my second favourite album of the year (Monoliths and Dimensions being first, Resurrection Macabre being 3rd.) A solid 8/10 easily, just nowhere near as good as it could or should have been.
    Warlock-Revenge
    Im going to come straight out and say it, this album is intense, but i dont think it even compares with behemoth's Evangelion..i mean it was number one record for 3 weeks, that almost never happens with black metal albums..
    Shredder Guitar
    Panasonic3 wrote: AstheticsOfHate wrote: Why the hell have i never heard of this band. I'm sneaking out of the office to go and pick this up right now. Are you serious?! Maybe the most prestigious and timless death metal bands next to Cannibal Corpse. Excelent album by an excelent group. Karl is a beast. Good review, but like he said, a bit too much drooling. This and "The Great Misdirect" will keep me busy til new Necrophagist (April YAY!).
    The Great Misdirect is immense. My favorite album of the year.
    Panasonic3
    AstheticsOfHate
    theAccursed
    Nile is the only band (apart from Propagandhi) out there that makes me buy their cds and not just get their stuff for a few less bucks on i-tunes. It's because there's a lot of extra awesome stuff in there - Karl Sanders is a champ and I think it's cool that he shares his thought processes behind the music in the cd booklets.
    Lohnanmilitia
    8.5 by me, I mean. Its good and all, but say its the best of 2009 is pushin it just a tad, especially when so many amazing albums came out this year, such as the new Novembers Doom, KATATONIA, swallow the sun, dream theater, between the buried and me, black dahlia murder, skeletonwitch, epica, etc,as I could go on forever, all came out this year and all get more play from me, but as I don't like saying one album is the best of the year, 1 things for sure, 2009 was a kick ass year for metal!! Can't wait to see what 2010 has in store for all of us!
    COBHC728
    Probably my new favorite Nile album. I can't find anything that I dislike about this release. If you are any sort of a death metal fan, buy this.
    MetalNick
    I voted a 9. It's excellent. I can't put my finger on why it's not a 10 for me, but I am weird. Everyone seems to love Black Seeds and Annihilation best, I like Darkened Shrines and Ithyphalic best. Oh well.
    fysix
    ingames wrote: This seems a little biased, since Ityphallic wasn't received as the best Nile effort yet, and the reviewer seems to have been worshipping it. Also, such an easy 10? Something smells. Anyone else who has heard this, does it go to the level of Black Seeds and Annihilation?
    It's awesome dude
    Lion_Slicer
    10 is a little bit high, but it's FAR less of an exaggeration than most of the bands that get 10s. I mean most reviews give any decent (and some less than decent) band a 10 on a section for almost no reason. At least this guy spells it out. Besides, Nile is easily one of the best bands in modern death metal; their albums consistently leave me in awe. Psyched to see them in January, a friend of mine is even opening for them! Nile kills.
    metalheadblues
    Good review.. This album is a landmark in death metal..the genre sure is volving to become even brutal,progressive and techinical..great year for metal
    Nergal22691
    It's a better album than Ithyphallic (although I did think Ithyphallic was a solid 7) but yeah overall It's my favorite Nile album. The production is much better and the guitars are not only audible but much clearer than on previous albums (no mean feat when tuning to drop A) I wouldn't give it a 10 but a 9. I would say if you like Nile this is a must have
    OXL
    heard a few tracks, if you're into death metal, you probably like this.
    ingames
    Astyan
    Metal album of the year will go between: - Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect - The Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate - Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest - Behemoth - Evangelion I'd be f*cking unable to tell you which one deserves it the most, frankly. Oh well, we should just split the title between best Progressive Death Metal (BTBAM), best Progressive Metal (DT), best Blackened Death Metal (Behemoth), best Death Metal (Nile) and best Melodic Death Metal (TBDM).