Those Whom The Gods Detest review by Nile

• Released: Nov 3, 2009
Nile: Those Whom The Gods Detest

Nile has acquired the role of being one of the leaders of today's death metal scene. And with "Those Whom The Gods Detest", they prove it again. Unlike critics received for their 2007 "Ithyphallic" where some fans thought Nile cannot top their "Annihilation Of The Wicked", well, those fans are in for a delight. Because the new album is a killer. The production is again a 10, slightly better than Ithyphallic and considering that they are playing in Drop A and with constant blast beats. It really pays off to give this album a listen, even if you are not that much into Nile and overall death metal scene. Again, (SURPRISE!) Nile is all about Egyptian mythology, even though the opener Kafir! slightly differs from others considering the concept, but again, it is all about the music these guys have to offer. Karl Sanders, Dallas Toler-Wade and George Kollias really did an awesome job. Nile just keeps on improving, again, you have those crazy solos, those complex riffs, melodies and drums are beyond reach for most of the drummers.

As previously stated, Nile is back once again, with even more Egyptian mythology! Karl can still amaze you with his knowledge of Egyptian mythology, and even put out a small booklet of explanations, which is nothing new for Karl, but again, he succeeded in pulling it off, yet again. The music and the lyrics perfectly match. It is one of the major elements Nile is famous for, you can imagine a pharaoh headbanging to this monster. Considering singer skills, there is a major thing I have noticed right on the start of Kafir! - the opener. Dallas has changed his pitch of voice a bit, making his growl even more cleaner and recognizable. But you still hear that bark that makes your head go crazy. While Karl is staying with his recognizable deep-growl roots.

If I have to compare it to the other albums, this one is a mix of everything. It has "Annihilation Of The Wicked" mixed with "In Their Darkened Shrines" with a small touch of "Black Seeds Of Vengeance". While the long-time fans were lacking the "old-school" touch on "Ithyphallic", Nile came back with a portion of that "old-school Nile" which a lot of fans seem to like. If I had to point out some songs, that would definitely be "Kafir!" which is one of the best openers Nile, right behind "Cast Down The Heretic". The title "Those Whom The Gods Detest" is one of those epic songs that Nile is famous for. Progressive, slow and rapidly changing into fast with the chorus-like growling of "We are they whom the Gods detest" surely leaves a mark on you. The following song "4th Arra Of Dagon" is the longest one on the album, blasting your ears for 8 minutes and 40 seconds. It reminded me on "User-Maat-Re" a bit, but the outro that lasts for nearly 3 minutes and slowly fades out is a bit too pumped for Nile-like epic songs. The next song I really liked was "Kem Khefa Kheshef", which reminded me on "Cast Down The Heretic", especially with the fast-play on verse and the long dual-solos. Although, the song that I must point out from all of them is the ending song "Iskander Dhul Karnon", which is one of the best, if not the best, song on the album. It sums up what Nile is really capable of doing. It really pays off to listen the go through the whole album and then be kicked in the face by the ending song. Normally, I would give this album a 10. But considering that Nile has "Annihilation Of The Wicked" and "In Their Darkened Shrines" in their arsenal, I would go with the 9. It brings a brutal force, but it did not top songs like "Unas Slayer Of The Gods, Cast Down The Heretic, Lashed To The Slave Stick" etc. Getting a copy of this album can only do you good. Even if you are not that big of a fan of extreme death metal music.

Matteo Nanni
    TWTGD is not the best, but it's the right one. because you simply CAN'T do better than BSOV of ITDS. if anyone had any doubts over the band's condition, go see them at a gig. BLOWING your damn existence away. Anyway, title track, The Eye Of Ra and Permitting are the most striking, I think. Stay Nile...ehm, I wanted to say, stay Death Metal.
    Shinsen88
    Who just called BTBAM deathcore? Not even close... Crack the Skye should be on that list, too. That said, I will be picking this album up. I thought Ithyphallic was pretty good, or at least had some good songs, but the production was pretty "meh." Can't wait to hear this one.
    Dust_and_Guilt
    Psycroptipath wrote: Dust_and_Guilt wrote: lol, Behemoth's album isn't even top 20 for this year. Nile's is probably top 10. I agree behemoths evangelion wasnt that amazing, good but not great. So far no album by behemoth can top Deimigod or Zos kia Cultis. Cant wait to get my hands on niles new album
    You read my mind, bro.
    Psycroptipath
    Nergal22691
    You may just not be that into extreme metal. It isn't for everybody. But the drummer taugh/teaches at a pretty prestigious school of percussion in Greece where he teaches all styles. There's videos of him on youtube playing various funky/latin/jazz grooves in addition to his usual double bass insanity
    new_age_reject
    Nergal22691 wrote: Is it just me or is this album an incredibly boring blast beat fest? I get it, the drummer is very talented at playing fast but can he create a groove? Evidently not. There are not actually that many blast beats on this compared to a lot of death metal. And yes he can groove, he plays jazz and funk very well. Just not with Nile as that would be stylistically inappropriate. So I would say it is just you.
    Well I would like to hear his jazz beats. You say there are not that many blast beats but when I skipped to random points throughout the album, 9/10 it was a blast beat. Am I missing something here or did I just start on the wrong album to get into their style?
    new_age_reject
    Wookieslayer
    this album just plain owns. was so addicted to it for a few weeks when it leaked! \m/
    dfisher_18
    This album to me was just like the rest of the albums, nothing really new to be anticipated about. Though they are a very talented group and are extremely brutal.
    padgea7x
    padgea7x wrote: Jester InFlames wrote: Themadisraeli wrote: Dream Pin : Astyan wrote: Metal album of the year will go between: - Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect - The Black Dahlia Murder - Deflorate - Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest - Behemoth - Evangelion I'd be f*cking unable to tell you which one deserves it the most, frankly. Oh well, we should just split the title between best Progressive Death Metal (BTBAM), best Progressive Metal (DT), best Blackened Death Metal (Behemoth), best Death Metal (Nile) and best Melodic Death Metal (TBDM). Except the new Nile is the only album in that list that doesn't suck. No kidding. Why do people keep mentioning BTBAM Especially? Fucking Deathcore kids. The Great Misdirect is atrociously boring. lol you forgot isis and mastodon and baroness xD *cough* Sylosis *cough* should be in the list too...* cough* I haven't listened to much Nile, might give em a listen
    Just remembered the sylosis conclusion of an age came out last year..... Anywho.....I would've thought someone would've said Megadeth or something for one of the best metal albums of the year or something
    padgea7x
    Jester InFlames
    lol you forgot isis and mastodon and baroness xD
    Themadisraeli
    Nergal22691
    ^The new Behemoth album was damn good and BTBAM was passable. Apart from that I concur. Dream Theater doesn't deserve to be called metal
    Dream Pin
    Except the new Nile is the only album in that list that doesn't suck.
    The Black Salts
    I couldn't always stomach a whole Nile album without wanting something more interesting to happen, but Nile have managed to make every song enjoyable. Kick ass.