Those Whom The Gods Detest review by Nile

• Released: Nov 3, 2009
Nile: Those Whom The Gods Detest

The TechDeath kings, Nile, back with the most groundbreaking album of the year, Those Whom The Gods Detest. The album opener Kafir! Really gives you a taste of what these guys can do. Nile are well known for their extreme tempos, and this album peaks at 280. Erik Rutan (Hate Eternal) made a really good job producing the drums for this album, and George Kollias isn't holding back anything, his mind blowing speed never ends! In this album Nile has some Epic Doomish sections, they use their Egyptian instruments wisely along with the low tuned guitars. Karl Sanders and Dallas Toler-Wade really put concentrated hours behind every single riff. My bottom line is: "This album is without a doubt a milestone in the genre."

Egyptian mythology is still the main theme for Nile, on this album they centered the ancient pharaoh Akenathon (who is on the cover art). Akenathon, who they sang about in song "Cast Down The Heretic" from the album "Annihilation of the Wicked" (2005). However, the first song, Kafir! Is about Islam. The first line "There is no god but God" is a very important line in Muslim. "Kafir" means "unbeliever" in Arabic. Karl added liner notes after each song in the album booklet to explain the history and concept behind every song. Karl wrote all the lyrics for this album. The vocal style is the usual death metal growling, where Dallas covers most of the vocals and Karl adds his flavor here and there. Karl's voice is very deep and guttural while Dallas is more clear but still keeps the dark feeling.

This album is just an upgrade from their last album (Ithyphallic). Some songs reflects "Annihilation of the Wicked" but still keeps its own feeling. The songs that stood out most for me was Kafir!, 4th Arra of Dagon, Permitting the Noble Dead to Descend to the Underworld, Kem Khefa Kheshef and Iskander D'hul Kharnon. My favorite is probably Iskander D'hul Karoon. It's progresive and very colorful, it's a really good song to end an album with, Nile did a really great job for the opening and closing of this album. The only thing I'm thinking now it "how will they possibly top this album? Is it possible?" Those Whom The Gods Detest is a must-buy for any death metal fan, no question about that.

dementiacaptain
    indeed BTBAM is not deathcore. its progcore. tho i hate all the stupid subgenre-ing of metal. but i think nile made a kickass album. its what i wanted. heavy proficient music.
    OrganicCage
    Progcore? right...or maybe its just Metalcore with progressive elements. No need to create a new genre just because some bands does something a TINY bit different. BTBAM are nothing to get wet over. I admit they have skill, but have the tendancy to write terribly boring music. Then again, I AM posting in a Nile thread...go figure. But at least Gods detest redeemed Nile from the bore frest that was Itylphallic (spelling? I dont care).
    death_unknown
    Ive seen Nile twice now and they are amazing live. They are pretty big elitists. They will straight up talk shit to all the kids that give true death metal a bad name. Karl Sanders saw a kid on his phone the first time i saw them. Karl reached down in between songs and straight up took the kids phone away and wouldnt give it back til after the show and not before getting a lesson about paying attention while Nile does what they came to do. Pretty big dickheads at times. But when you play the fastest technical death metal that would make most musicians fingers and feet fall off at the thought of even trying to play that fast, Id say they can say and do whatever they want. Buy their albums and definitely go see them live if you get the chance. Well worth it.
    bdof
    I like the album as a whole as far as death metal goes, especially the majority of the first 3 songs. That being said, the "majority" parts kicks in half way through the 3rd song that started a trend for the rest of the album: the completely unnecessary break downs. I mean going from 200+ bmp to 45 bmp is a bit lazy from them, especially when the breakdowns provide NOTHING musically to the song except "alright guys, time to slow down and make it sound as HEAVY and BR00TALZ as possible". Those parts I always hate because it's fricking lazy writing and gives death metal a bad name. Saying all this, I still think it was a good album but as far as extreme metal album goes Evangelion has it in the bag
    the_burning_one
    SilverRock113 wrote: What about Hittite Dung Incantation? The intro double bass is complete EARGASM!!!!
    Its like the damned souls in hell at the beginning, then getting WHIPPED BY DOUBLE BASS MADNESS