Everything Is Review

Nine Black Alps: Everything Is
Released: June 13, 2005
Label: Universal International
Genre: Rock
Nine Black Alps release their debut album - the Product of their La Recording Sessions with Beck and Elliot Smith Producer Rob Schnapf.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.6
 9.4
 9.7
Everything Is Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 12, 2005

Sound: A great Canadian band, really like their sound. Good rock band yet elements of a new sound, though Nirvana-esque. Not that thats a bad thing, their a great band to look upto. I found the album very listenable, three-four times a day sometimes. Can really get into it. Some straight forward rock songs, with two slow tunes thrown in. Good band, great album, potential in the band. I'd say a 4 only for the fact that people will comment about the Nirvana-esque sound. // 8

Lyrics: I think they did a great job with the lyrics on the album. Somewhat distorted yet very engageable (If that's even a word). I found the lyrics to very relative to both the slow songs, "Behind Your Eyes" and "Intermission." The like the lyrics to "Get Your Guns" and I think he compliments them very well with the way he sings them. Overall very good lyrics for a young band on their first album. // 10

Overall Impression: The Nirvana-esque sound of the band doesn't put me off listening to the album and I didn't find that it bared that much resemblance to Nirvana's "Nevermind." "Get Your Guns" and "Not Everyone" are my favourite songs and the album. "Just Friends" and "Intermission" are really good songs too. Overall I think this a great album from a band with alot of potential. I would definetly buy the album again if it was lost or stolen and I would definetly recommend it. Great album. // 10

Everything Is Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2005

Sound: Oh my... Well, those two words alone describe the beautfiulness of this album. Nine Black Alps have really proved themselves on this debut album and they have proved themselves greatly! Everything Is, is a heavy beast of truly epic songs and truly enough every song is good enough to become a single a go a long way. The sound on the album is brilliant. From heavy rock songs that burst the eardrums like "Ironside" to beautiful acoustic ones like "Behind Your Eyes." This album rocks totally! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album aren't too emotionally distressing yet aren't too quirky and silly, it's all in the middle and works brilliantly with each song. The sound also works along with what the lyrics are stating and singer Sam Forrest's voice sings them perfectly. His casual deeper voice creates an awesome effect on the album! The most lyrical beauty on this is either "Behind Your Eyes" or "Unsatisfied." // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a must buy for anyone interested from The Vines to the Foo Fighters. A heavy rock genius and needs to be recommended loads! My fav songs on the album are "Shot Down," "Unsatisfied" and "Get Your Guns." This album shows the range of songs Nine Black Alps are capable of creating. // 10

Everything Is Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 15, 2005

Sound: As soon as I listened to, not everybody, on MTV2 that was when I knew I wanted this album. It starts like every rock album should - loud. It's just simply brilliant how they belt in with the first three songs. Island Records have real winner here with the guitar riffs. In saying this the sound isn't very original. They have the embodiment of a lot fairly newish rock bands like the vines or even the White Stripes' White Blood Cvells album, but not as abstract. The album has some softer songs further into the album. There's a nice and chilled acoustic song called Behind Your Eyes and then Intermission. // 8

Lyrics: One thing's for sure, and that's the lyrics and singer suit this album he can rock out to the likes of not everybody and then show a softer side to his voice with intermission I think that in a few years time when they release a couple more albums we'll be looking at Nine Black Alps as a major name and also sam forrest the frontman for this outstanding band as a true icon. It's just brill lyrics all the way through with no slip ups which generally see in debut albums. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I've said this is a very very good album. anybody that is a true fan of music has to buy it! not everybody and unsatisfyed are definately the singles that will test anybody to whether you like or dislike the album. There's a whole mix of genre's mahed up into one album I'd say it's garage/punk/grunge/indie/soft rock. I would recommend it to anybody. // 8

Everything Is Reviewed by: Muse(ic) ROCKS!, on september 05, 2005

Sound: This sounds huge. From the opening of get your guns to the final thundering riff of southern cross, the music is intense throughout. Passionate and necessary, this is great stuff. A tight rhythm section see's punk meets grunge meets pop with some luscious melodies such as in Just Friends, the heavyness of ironside is contrasted with the anthemic unsatisfied. Not only that but two beautiful acoustic songs Behind Your Eyes and Intermisson, which really make this an all round album. This is everything you want from an album. 3 months on and I'm still playing it at least once a day. In short, there isn't a filler here. I haven't even mentioned three of the singles Cosmopolitan, not everyone and shot down, brutal and beautiful at the same time. These guys can write great songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are beautifully constructed to fit with the music. Singer Sam Forrest puts all his emotion in to the songs and every song feels like he's singing it to you. A variety of issues are covered, from suicide (Get Your Guns, Cosmopolitan) to breakups (Just Friends) to being in the public eye (Headlights). All the lyrics are well thought up and instantlly memorable. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my album of 2005. A band with huge promise. 12 great songs are on this album, and if you want to hear some great music, listen to Nine Black Alps. Words cannot do this album. Go and buy it. // 10

Everything Is Reviewed by: MiniMusicMasta, on january 23, 2006

Sound: These guys have made one of the most impressive debut albums I have ever heard. They do light rock and a bit of indie/punk thrown in as well. They sound similar to no one I could think of, but are seriously worth listening to. // 9

Lyrics: Well they are all great. The vocalist has a great voice and can sing in a variety of ways. His voice varys to suit the song. The lyrics mean something as well for instance 'Cosmopolitan' is about suicide and 'Just Friends' is about divorce/splitting up. Lyrical genius at its best. // 10

Overall Impression: The thing I love about this album is that I never get bored of it. Every single song on the album makes you feel an emotion that either gets you pumped or relaxed. My favourite songs are 'Behind Your Eyes' and 'Unsatisfied'. If this album was lost by a twist of fate, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Everything Is Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 16, 2006

Sound: Elec. guitar riffs that inspire, bass riffs that make you want to get up and turn it full whack (stay where you are if you use a remote), and creative drum riffs that are so dangerously close to making the songs out of time; it makes you want to hug them for doing it so bloomin' perfectly. That Nine Black Alps trinity almost makes you feel as good as the real one does. Then they introduce you to their bridges in minor which make you feel obliged to look away for a moment and focus on life and its meanings; then the indescribable chorus' are brought back into focus and you get back into the spirit of awesomeness. Songs such as #6. Behind your eyes and #11. Intermission, are beautifully constructed nine black Alps styli with acoustic guitars that sound like they have just been accidentally picked up on the fret board. // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrics are definitely original, you find your self pondering for the meaning of that lyrical geniusness when you hear another sentence and realise that it is only respectively meaningful to the artists. // 7

Overall Impression: Everything Is is the first in a hopeful line of awesome albums from the Nine Black Alps after receiving a record deal from 'island' sounds. The furthest they were hoping to go was the finals of battle of the bands in their local pub. Not sure whether they were ready for the fame - or whether they wanted it for that matter; they produced Everything Is. The sleeve art by Matt Davies is freakishly unique, like a ten year old that's good at drawing - or an adult that's trying to draw. I love the ducks! Biggup respect to Sam, David, Martin and James! My Favourite song: #7 Iron Side. The heaviest song on the album with a great message for all yee youth that want to just say "Leave me alone!" Plus an amazing riff that will certainly blow you away if the previous six haven't. // 9

Everything Is Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2006

Sound: The bands sound can only be described as amazing and different. Its changes from track-to-track, but sustains the various emotions. The guitar riffs are catchy and heavy, and never tire. Personally, I am not hearing the connection with Nirvana, and would say the band are more like Black Sabbath, with the mish-mash of chords, that really shoudln't work together, but somehow do. Having bought the CD a year ago, I still listen to it often, and feel the tracks are as fresh and catchy and when I first listened. From the opening 'Get Your Guns' to the ending 'Southern Cross' we hear punk, indie, pop and grunge fused together to create something truly brilliant. The album would not be complete without two accoustic tracks 'Behind Your Eyes' and 'Intermission', both beautifully performed. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are abstract, yet to the point, violently sung by singer Sam Forsett. The lyrics fit the music perfectly and are sung with beauty and agression. // 9

Overall Impression: Still as amazing as the day I bought it, I am yet to find another band quite like Nine Black Alps. I would recomend to all my friends, and cannot wait for the band to release there second album. Highlights for me are singles 'Not Everyone' and 'Unsatisfied' and also album track 'Behind Your Eyes'. // 10

Everything Is Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 11, 2008

Sound: I found the album very engaging musically. A diverse mix of indie into hard rock rhythm's.There is at least one song where the Nirvana thing shines through but on the whole I found it far clearer and energetic than Seattle's finest. The solo's are in a similar vein, being quite simple themselves. The acoustic songs, sound like Neil Young mixed with The Beatles. His driving rhythm, their otherworldly melodies. // 10

Lyrics: the lyrics fit the songs perfectly and all have a very poetic ring to them. Songs about class, war, love, all are featured and they gel well with the music. On "Intermission", the lyrics never distort the gorgeous melodies and yet shine through. A well written record for sure. Sam Forrest is from Manchester, but there's no trace of Gallagher sleaze here. And even though there's an American influence, he never succumbs to the temptation. A unique vocal accent, and one that can hit all the right notes. // 9

Overall Impression: To be honest, I really don't have a negative thing to say. This is a classic dbut and is irreplaceable in my vast record collection. Every tracks a winner and in a scene of generic indie bands, Nine Black Alps stand out as themselves. A bright future by the looks of things. // 10

Comments