And All That Could Have Been review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: Jan 22, 2002
Nine Inch Nails: And All That Could Have Been

This is one of the best sounding live albums I've ever heard. For most bands, it is very hard for them to match there studio songs live, and you'd think that would be even harder for an industrial, heavily electronic band, but Trent Reznor does it beautifull. I also love how it starts really weird, and also ends really weird. And starts very abruptly and also ends that way.

I've always found Trent Reznor to be a very underrated lyric writer. Trent Reznor's biggest hit, closer, actually contains some of his weakest lyrics. In my opinion, what makes the song closer great is the music. But Trent Reznor's lyrics are very deep and meaningful, he sings of very dark subjects. It's sort of hard to rate the lyrics on a live album, but his lyrics are very good.

Overall, this is one of the best live albums I've heard. It's basically a greatest hits track list. If you want to see if you like Nine Inch Nails, I would buy one of their studio albums first, I would buy the downward spiral, because I think that's definately their best. But the best performences of the songs on here are head like a hole, hurt, piggy (so much different than the studio, but so great) and the day the world went away. Unfortunately, the live versions of closer and starf--kers are somewhat dissapointing. All and all though, this is a great album. Well worth the money. Really my only complaint is that it's in a crappy fold out soft case and has no booklet. I want to get the DVD though.

jsspang
    It actually amazes me that NIN made a live album, being how he actually goes about making music. That being said this album is great!! I have seen NIN 4 times between TDS and the slip and they never sounded nearly this good, Yet always put on some of the best shows i've ever seen. They are intense as hell live, but i appricate their studio work far more... Great album though!!