And All That Could Have Been Review

Nine Inch Nails: And All That Could Have Been
Release Date: Jan 22, 2002
Label: Nothing
Genres: Album Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Metal, Industrial
While a CD can only capture a piece of NIN's onstage energy, their first live album is an intense, sometimes overwhelming recording, further vindication of NIN's continuing popularity and influence.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
And All That Could Have Been Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on october 28, 2006

Sound: This is one of the best sounding live albums I've ever heard. For most bands, it is very hard for them to match there studio songs live, and you'd think that would be even harder for an industrial, heavily electronic band, but Trent Reznor does it beautifull. I also love how it starts really weird, and also ends really weird. And starts very abruptly and also ends that way. // 10

Lyrics: I've always found Trent Reznor to be a very underrated lyric writer. Trent Reznor's biggest hit, closer, actually contains some of his weakest lyrics. In my opinion, what makes the song closer great is the music. But Trent Reznor's lyrics are very deep and meaningful, he sings of very dark subjects. It's sort of hard to rate the lyrics on a live album, but his lyrics are very good. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of the best live albums I've heard. It's basically a greatest hits track list. If you want to see if you like Nine Inch Nails, I would buy one of their studio albums first, I would buy the downward spiral, because I think that's definately their best. But the best performences of the songs on here are head like a hole, hurt, piggy (so much different than the studio, but so great) and the day the world went away. Unfortunately, the live versions of closer and starf--kers are somewhat dissapointing. All and all though, this is a great album. Well worth the money. Really my only complaint is that it's in a crappy fold out soft case and has no booklet. I want to get the DVD though. // 10

Comments