Broken review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: Sep 22, 1992
Nine Inch Nails: Broken

When Trent Reznor wrote the EP Broke he was in a major label feud and he was about to leave TVT records for his own label Nothing Records. The record was recorded in secret, without the permission of his record label, in various studios around the U.S. The whole fight with TVT resulted in a very angry EP, where it seemed like Reznor had forgotten everything about the instrument that made his first album, the keyboards. This EP contains mostly hard guitar riffs with distortion beyond the normal metal you hear. Although some fans find this album really disturbing and were really happy when Reznor made his second full length album, The Downward Spiral, where he was back behind his keyboards. Some find this album one of his masterpieces.

The album is about hate more than anything else. Reznors hate feelings for life and the music business. The lyrics go well with the angry music and Reznor really has a wonderful voice. Even though the EP only contains of eight tracks it features one instrumental track, Help Me I am In Hell, which is a very good track that blends in well with the other ones.

This album doesn't compare to much Reznor has done after this. It's about something so very different than his later records. The most impressive song on this album has to be either Gave Up or Wish. And if this album were to be either stolen from me or I'd loose it, then I would go the very same day to buy a new copy.