Broken review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: Sep 22, 1992
Nine Inch Nails: Broken

This EP was the result of a feud with what was then Trent Reznor's record label, TVT, and was recorded in secret. As such, it comes off as extremely angry. (The Ultimate-Guitar description, which implies that it couldn't have worked as a full-length record, is pretty accurate.) Even more distortion was used here than is usual for a Nine Inch Nails record, and guitars are more prevalent as well. Overall, good for what it is.

The lyrics are all over the board here, but are generally pretty good. (If analytical essays found online are to be believed, "Happiness in Slavery" -- when combined with it's banned music video -- may be one of the band's deepest songs in terms of meaning and symbolism.) His anger is quite apparent, as I said before, and may take a while to get used to. His vocals are as good as they can be. (I've never been a big fan of Trent's scratchy voice). "Gave Up" has a lot of vocal distortion, it is worth noting.

As I've said before, the album as a whole is very good. I can't shake the feeling, though, that to get it's full effect one must view the Broken movie. Unfortunately, the movie is not easy to acquire, as it has never been officially released due to it's graphic content. So for now, the album is what we will have to manage with. In any case, it's still worth picking up a copy of the EP, as it, among other things, showcases a Nine Inch Nails that has been toned down over the years.