Broken Review

Nine Inch Nails: Broken
Release Date: Sep 22, 1992
Label: Nothing/Interscope
Genres: Industrial, Alternative Pop/Rock, Industrial Metal
Broken is a concentrated blast of caustic, naked rage. Given how draining it is, a full-length album in its style would unquestionably have been wearisome, even self-parodic.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.8
 8.4
 9.2
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
Broken Reviewed by: Ely Rosetta, on july 28, 2006

Sound: Trent Reznor traded in his keyboard for an extra guitar and a distortion pedal to make his second major album. The EP was created in turmoil after he had a split with TVT Records because of a contract dispute and the result is heard in Broken. When Trent gets pissed off, he's not in the mood to write a keyboard masterpiece, hes in the mood to beat the living crap out of some drums, scream (write the lyrics at a later date) and turn the distortion to ten. This is NIN's third or fourth best album because of the "genericness" of the sound. Trent should stick to Industrial metal and keep his keyboard by his side. // 7

Lyrics: I always have loved Reznor's lyrics because he puts so much of his soul into them. No amount of distortion can take away from the powerful lyrics of Nine Inch Nails (even they are difficult to understand). If NIN ever comes to your town, I highly recomend going no matter what the cost just to see Trent's mind, body and soul come together as one. The passion flowing through the 950 watt amps is a religious experience that all should indulge in. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparing Broken to Downward Spiral or Hate Machine is unfair because I think Trent was a different man durning the making of those two albums. Broken was an attempt to progress into another genre, but luckily by the time Downward Spiral came out, he realised that he didn't need to. He thought he needed to evolve away from the keyboard, but in the end he didn't. While singles such as "Wish" will always be remembered, the EP as a whole will never be as widely praised as Pretty Hate Machine, Downward Spiral, or even The Fragile. That being said. Compared side by side to other albums in the same genre (not counting other NIN albums), Broken is definitely pretty close to the top. It is for lack of a better word, pretty damn catchy and I sure as hell could do a lot worse when I die and go to hell and Satan plays one album on loop for all eternity. Even though it is an EP, Trent still plays three songs from it every concert: Wish, Gave up, and Suck. // 9

Broken Reviewed by: [NIN], on may 31, 2007

Sound: When Trent Reznor wrote the EP Broke he was in a major label feud and he was about to leave TVT records for his own label Nothing Records. The record was recorded in secret, without the permission of his record label, in various studios around the U.S. The whole fight with TVT resulted in a very angry EP, where it seemed like Reznor had forgotten everything about the instrument that made his first album, the keyboards. This EP contains mostly hard guitar riffs with distortion beyond the normal metal you hear. Although some fans find this album really disturbing and were really happy when Reznor made his second full length album, The Downward Spiral, where he was back behind his keyboards. Some find this album one of his masterpieces. // 9

Lyrics: The album is about hate more than anything else. Reznors hate feelings for life and the music business. The lyrics go well with the angry music and Reznor really has a wonderful voice. Even though the EP only contains of eight tracks it features one instrumental track, Help Me I am In Hell, which is a very good track that blends in well with the other ones. // 8

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to much Reznor has done after this. It's about something so very different than his later records. The most impressive song on this album has to be either Gave Up or Wish. And if this album were to be either stolen from me or I'd loose it, then I would go the very same day to buy a new copy. // 9

Broken Reviewed by: VidGamer870, on may 14, 2008

Sound: This EP was the result of a feud with what was then Trent Reznor's record label, TVT, and was recorded in secret. As such, it comes off as extremely angry. (The Ultimate-Guitar description, which implies that it couldn't have worked as a full-length record, is pretty accurate.) Even more distortion was used here than is usual for a Nine Inch Nails record, and guitars are more prevalent as well. Overall, good for what it is. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are all over the board here, but are generally pretty good. (If analytical essays found online are to be believed, "Happiness in Slavery" -- when combined with it's banned music video -- may be one of the band's deepest songs in terms of meaning and symbolism.) His anger is quite apparent, as I said before, and may take a while to get used to. His vocals are as good as they can be. (I've never been a big fan of Trent's scratchy voice). "Gave Up" has a lot of vocal distortion, it is worth noting. // 7

Overall Impression: As I've said before, the album as a whole is very good. I can't shake the feeling, though, that to get it's full effect one must view the Broken movie. Unfortunately, the movie is not easy to acquire, as it has never been officially released due to it's graphic content. So for now, the album is what we will have to manage with. In any case, it's still worth picking up a copy of the EP, as it, among other things, showcases a Nine Inch Nails that has been toned down over the years. // 8

Comments