Down In It [Single] Review

Nine Inch Nails: Down In It [Single]
Release Date: 1990
Label: TVT
Genres: Industrial, Alternative Pop/Rock, Industrial Metal
The "Down In It" single is completely superfluous and useful only to NIN completists.
 8.1
 8.7
 7.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Down In It [Single] Reviewed by: exe67, on december 29, 2006

Sound: Down In It contains the original song (Skin) and two remixes of the same song. The shred remix is the same song just with a 4 minute outro! Other than the intro being a bit different, the long outro is the only big difference. The singe remix is my least favorite as it is more dancy and less interesting. It is basically the main riff of the song repeated for 7 minutes. Kinda boring and drawn out. Down in it was the first song Trent wrote as Nine Inch Nails so it's amazing to see how much he has evolved since then. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this song are really good. Definitely some of the best off of Pretty Hate Machine. Skin and Shred have the full version of the lyrics. Singe has most of the lyrics removed and just the words "Down In It" randomly thrown in. This is supposed to be the instrumental version. But in all 3 they do fit in very well with the music. No matter how vague Trent can make it work! And as always Trent is an amazing singer! While this song in particular does not show off his voice's full potential, it is easy to see that the talent is there. // 9

Overall Impression: Down in it is definitely not Trent's best song, but it is indeed a good one! As far as this CD goes though, it's really not worth the buy unless you are an extreme Halo collecter like me. This is because skin is the version on Pretty Hate Machine and the other two can both be found on the Head Like a Hole single. If this CD were lost or stolen I would be pretty upset because it's not in print anymore and is a collectors item. But honestly I probably wouldn't replace it because I have the songs copied to my computer and I could just burn a new copy, plus it's only 3 songs. // 9

Comments