Head Like A Hole Review

Nine Inch Nails: Head Like A Hole
Release Date: 1989
Label: TVT
Genres: Industrial, Alternative Pop/Rock, Industrial Metal
This CD features 10 tracks including four reconstructed versions of "Head Like A Hole," "Terrible Lie" and "Down In It," all standout tracks from NIN's album Pretty Hate Machine.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Head Like A Hole Reviewed by: exe67, on january 05, 2007

Sound: Head Like A Hole was NIN's first big hit. It's one of the more rock themed songs from Pretty Hate Machine, but the electronic edge still shows. This CD actually doesn't contain the original version, but it does contain 4 remixes of it, as well as 2 remixes of Terrible Lie, 3 remixes of Down In It (2 of which are also included on the Down In It single) and a B-Side called You Know Who You Are (although it's really just an instrumental version of Head Like A Hole.) I have the original version, but I believe the reissue also has an 11th track which is just someone saying "NIN rocks" or something like that. As all these songs are from Pretty Hate Machine they are all very electronic themed and for NIN that is a good thing! // 9

Lyrics: "Bow down before the one you serve. You're going to get what you deserve." That line says it all, the lyrics in Head Like A Hole are great. Since this is a remix album though you can't treat it as anything new. All the versions of Head Like A Hole have the complete lyrics which is always good. The Terrible Lie remixes also both contain all the lyrics of the original. Down In It, 2 of the 3 contain the full lyrics. Singe, the remix that doesn't just has the words "Down In It" randomly trown in. And obviously You Know Who You Are is instrumental. Since it's sorta silly to rate the lyrics of remixed songs, I'm giving it a 10 because I based it off the original versions. // 10

Overall Impression: Head Like A Hole is without a doubt the best remix album off of Pretty Hate Machine, but that's all it is, a remix album. You can't compare it to Trent's actual albums, but as a remix album it's actually one of the best in terms of value. 10 songs gets you almost an hour of listening and you will actually enjoy the songs and listen to them many times. I know I have! My personal favorite remix from the whole album is "Head Like A Hole (Slate)" because it adds an interesting flavor to the song. As I have already said I really enjoy this album and there is nothing that I dislike about it. If you are a NIN fan and you don't have this one I seriously recommend picking it up! This is one of the few remix albums that I would replace if it ever got lost or stolen! // 9

Comments