The Downward Spiral review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: Mar 8, 1994
Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral

When I first heard "Mr. Self-Destruct," I didn't like it at first, now I listen to it every chance I get. The ending really creeps other people out when I listen to this song, it reminds me of a lot of bees hovering over you and you're trying to shake them off, this probably represents trying to escape pain and anger. "A Warm Place" reminds me of finally escaping pain, you're happy and you get that comfortable feeling inside when you listen to it. When the song is over, it reminds me of being disturbed and you're interrupted from your warm place. That's when it gets to the song "Eraser." "The Downward Spiral" really set off my emotions, when I was listening to it I felt this dark and depressing spiral embracing me, the yelling reminds me of wanting out of something or somewhere. The sound is creepy, haunting and is one of my favorites. "Hurt" is deep, the it's got a sad, tumultous sound like "The Downward Spiral," the mood in this song is first sorrow, then when the heavy guitaring shows up, it expresses both anger and depression. The last riff probably represents that person killing himself and like in movies, fades out still showing his or her body hang. All in all, I love the sound, it's tumultous, sad, angry and I recommend this album to those who are in serious pain, don't get any wrong ideas but yeah.

I read the lyrics, his artistic way in writing sounds a bit like improv only from the heart and soul, take "I Do Not Want This," for example, if you listen closely, it sounds a bit like an improv that's been rehearsed only twice. Trent is a good songwriter and I envy him, he's one of my influences and I wish I can make music similar as his.

The songs I'm impressed with are probably "Mr. Self Destruct" (because of the ending), "The Downward Spiral" (for it's mood, heavily emotional), and "Hurt" (the conclusion of this album). What I love about this album is I can relate to a little bit of it, the sorrow, the anger and the "suicide" at the end of this CD. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't really worry about it because I know it's replacable, it's worth the money!