The Fragile review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: Sep 21, 1999
Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile

The sound on this album, just as any Nine Inch Nails album is utterly amazing. The sound Trent Reznor creates take you somewhere far away, a different journey with each and every song. You can feel the heart and the emotion that Trent put into this album, it just comes at you so hard you almost feel embarassed to be listening. The instrumental songs on the album are absolutely beautiful, and really speak for themselves. Although each song takes you a different place, each part of the album (left and right sides) are sort of 'one big piece of music.' Each song leads into the next perfectly, and it's just a journey you'll never forget the first time you listen to the album the entire way through. Nobody can do it like Trent when it comes to creating an amazing sound, and this album is no different.

I never really thought Trent's lyrics were very profound, but really he doesn't intend for them to be. He isn't trying to tackle issues that face the world, it isn't political or anything it's all extremely personal. There are different facets to the lyrics that only Trent could understand, and we can only guess at. With an album so personal, you can feel the emotion in his voice and start to understand what he's feeling as he sings, sometimes softly and fearful (The Great Below), and other times on the complete opposite side of the spectrum (Star--ers Inc.) I love the instrumentals so much that sometimes Trent's vocal input really isn't needed - because the music speaks for itself, but overall the lyrics are pretty damn good.

Nine Inch Nails really isn't comparable to any other artist, maybe prodigy, but I would say Nine Inch Nails is much more emotional and 'real.' I love a different song from the album each day, they all have something special about them, it's just a matter of finding what sticks out at you. The songs that I've really been feeling lately are, "The Day The World Went Away," "Just Like You Imagined," "The Great Below," "Star--ers Inc.," "The Fragile," and "Pilgrimage." There really isn't anything about this album I hate, and it's definently something I would recommend to fans of bands like Tool, Prodigy and anyone who's into industrial stuff.