The Fragile review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: Sep 21, 1999
Nine Inch Nails: The Fragile

The Fragile is a two CD concept album, containing 23 songs, each one as beautiful as the next. This is my personal favourite of all the NIN albums. There is an amazing range in sound and texture, which you can instantly fall in love with. Not all of the songs are are raw and gritty as Closer from The Downward Spiral, but they don't need to be. My personal favourites from this album are The Fragile, The Wretched, Into The Void, Please and Starfuckers, Inc.

I have heard many people talk about the forced lyrics on this album. However, I am not sure what they are talking about. I believe that this album contains some of the most beautiful lyrics ever written, as well as some of the angriest and thought-provoking. His singing is quite different from previous releases, but by no means less emotional. The Great Below has enchanting lyrics and are sung in such a way that we realise that this is an incredibly personal song to Trent.

I could simply put "The best album ever recorded. Buy it now" and it would be sufficient. Beautiful songs, not one low point, with a fabulous range of styles. It is vastly different to any other NIN album, but it still seems familiar, as if you are with an old friend. It spawned a few of NIN's famous tracks, such as Starfuckers, Inc. The Fragile (the title song) and The Wretched. If I were to have no other album for the rest of my life, I would be content with this. The very first NIN album I heard, when a friend lent it to me and I loved it so much, I brought myself a copy. If I were to lose my copy, I would by myself another one. It also spawned a companion album "Things Falling Apart", containing remixes, original songs and one cover, which I also own and love.

ZombieDuck
    Someone said something asking if anyone could say anything bad about this band.. well I can, but I like them a lot dispite that.
    dlowe102
    I like the fragile..I like finding the many textures and playing them on guitar..I love this album