The Slip review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: May 5, 2008
Nine Inch Nails: The Slip

Nine inch nails 8th studio album (including Broken and excluding the remix albums) was released on the 5th of May, 2008. The sound is good, having downloaded the.Flac version of the album I was not disappointed. I'd already downloaded Discipline and listened to Echoplex but was not very excited by those tracks in their single formats. 999, 999 is a throbbing instrumental opener which leads into 1, 000, 000 which has a slightly "Done before" feeling for myself. Letting You is decent but Discipline is the first seriously good track on the album, followed by Echoplex and Head Down, the former two tracks sounding far better in the album format, and the latter being one of the highlights of this album. Lights in the Sky is a ballad easily on par with Johnny Cash's version of Hurt, The Day The World Went Away and Ghosts 34/Zero-Sum. quite possibly the best song on the entire album, simply piano and Reznor's voice. Corona Radiata is a 7 and a half minute instrumental song which is very good to say the least, excellent soundscaping. The Four of us are Dying is another instrumental which paints a bleak if beautiful picture of a wasteland, Demon Seed (which is the last track) is simply a let down for me, dwarfed by the preceding tracks, a long(er) song should have finished the album.

The "crooning" on Lights in the sky is great, but Demon Seed seems slightly forced, those lyrics could easily have been supplemented. The is also drifting more to the instrumental side of things it seems, which is rather good but may have more reasons rather than simply being easier (you cannot always write about Angst, eh Limp Bizkit? ) Mr. Reznor is on top singing form these days, sounding rested after Ghosts I-IV.

This album manages to sound like Nine Inch Nails but without copying any of their former work. For fans of The Broken EP, The Fragile and Year Zero particularly in my opinion. Best tracks are simply Head Down, Lights In The Sky and Corona Radiata. Worst track is 1, 000, 000, while not being bad, (here he goes again) is not on par with the rest of the album. Still very well deserved of a 10 in my opinion, Will it stand tall with Pretty Hate Machine, Year Zero and The Fragile in the years to come? Only time will tell, but for me, this album is on course to be on repeat in my stereo for many years.

Just_Matt
    It took a while for me, but its a great album. Lights in the Sky is one of those awesome masterpieces only Trent can write.