The Slip review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: May 5, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Nine Inch Nails: The Slip

I downloaded The Slip off the NIN website for free and it definitely sounded like a free album. The first few songs on the album were okay such as 1, 000, 000 and discipline. But halfway through the album went completely down hill because of effects being overused and songs becoming boring.

The lyrics were the only really good part of this album. I have not listened to much NIN before this album but I can tell that their Trent Reznor is a half decent vocalist. Sometimes the lyrics are repetitive but usually they are good. The song with the best lyrics would probably have to be discipline.

This album was not great compared to other albums around but because it's for free you Can't really complain about it. Maybe I just need to listen to it more for it to grow on me but I highly doubt that will happen. The vocals are good as well as some of the drumming except for when a dance or hip hop type drum kit is used. But the overuse of effects is what puts me off with this album. If It got removed from my computer I don't think I would bother downloading it again.

Silent_Terror
    When i heard it for a first time - i didn't get the thing... i thought it was an intersting album, but neither year zero nor ghosts... but after a few days of intro beat of letting go ringing in my ear i realized it's great. It is differnet and sounds very heavy, but it still has this great atmosphere i love nin for...
    DNC
    I thought it was great. Absolutely loved it, easily 8/10. I downloaded it and I'm gonna buy the hard copy as well =] (I love hard copies, hate downloads, but I had to have this.)
    captainmelody
    Comment on review at captainmelody.blogspot.com Don't we all love free stuff? For this reason alone "The Slip" by Nine Inch Nails gets five stars. The album was available for digital download on Nine Inch Nail's official website in early May. This ones on me, Nine Inch Nails guru Trent Reznor stated on the site. Recently, (July 22, 2008 to be exact) the physical album was released accomodating anti-ipod fans who like to sit and stare at album covers for hours. After escaping "The Man" (aka Interscope Records) frontman Trent Reznor has been busy releasing 2 albums in 2008. His album "Ghosts IIV" was released just 2 months prior to "The Slip" in March. According to Reznor "The Slip" was recorded in only three weeks. Reviews of the album have ranged from pure genius to a bore. My first listen had me leaning more towards boredom. We've all heard Reznor's "sound" before, typically consisting of a dark bass, light drum machine and quirky sounds. Could you even tell the difference if someone switched out "The Slip" with another one of his latest albums (especially Ghosts I-IV)? But after a few listens I found a special creativity and dark beauty hiding beneath that familiar sound. There are a few catchy songs that are constructed more solid than some of Reznor's latest creations, specifically "Discipline" and "Echoplex." My favorite are the haunting instrumentals "Corona Radiata" and "The Four of Us are Dying." I imagine this ablum will do little for Reznor's commercial appeal. It is not radio friendly. But I never sensed that Nine Inch Nails strove for commerical appeal. Reznor is a true artist and the Captain looks forward to his creations free from the limits of a record label. 3 out of 5 ships - "a transatlantic voyage"
    hanktehlordochi
    I've got to say, I disagree with all the negative reviews. My first impression was "It's alright, but meh." but after listening to it repeatedly I constantly find myself liking it more and more. The Slip managed to take elements from the last 3 NIN albums and mix them with entirely new ideas. I've got to say it was definitely one of the better albums to come out in 2008