With Teeth review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: May 3, 2005
Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth

With Teeth can best be described as a fusion of every previous NIN release into one hard hitting record. It has everything from intense synth driven tracks like 'Only' to heavily the distorted guitar driven song 'You Know What You Are?' to soft piano focused songs that bring us into the 'Fragile' state. This album maintains the complex layering that all Nine Inch Nails releases contain. Upon repeated listenings you continue to hear and notice subtle sounds and noises that you did not notice before. The addition of the 5.1 audio disc is a definate highlight, and just like 'The Downward Spiral: Deluxe Edition' this album really lends itself to the surround capabilities. If you have not purchased the 5.1 surround disc, you are missing a lot. But at least listen to the album on great speakers or with headphones if you just have the regular disc.

Reznor has certainly been working on his vocal skills a lot and it shows. He demonstrates his advanced vocals right in the opening track 'All The Love In The World' where his voice is soft and melodic to abbrasive and discordant. As the lyrics, there is not a whole lot new here in terms of lyrical content. His writing style is very similar to all his other albums, but it is about a different set of problems. This album is about problems with his manager and his alcohol enslavement.

With Teeth is an album that requires more than one listen, and a close look at the lyrics and understanding of what is/was going on in the life of Reznor. On my first listen I was impressed, but somewhat disappointed at the same time. The main problem, this album hadn't generated that longing that 'The Fragile' had generated. 'The Fragile' was such a long time in the making, there were so many rumours about what it was going to sound like and when it would be released. And yet it was all unsubstantiated. Reznor himself never really said anything about the album, and just huddled away tinkering relentlessly to create it. When it was released I bought it up and listened to it and was absolutly in awe. It was worth the wait. It was a surprising turn in the direction NIN had been going, and it was a turn I was ready for. With Teeth didn't generate this kind of hype, it did generate hype, but not with the same necessity that 'The Fragile' did. I went into the record half expecting not to like it, and on my first listen I almost convinced myself. But Trent Reznor does not fail. And despite my hardest efforts, I could not stay away from this album, and the more I listen to it, the more I love it. It is not as passionate or delicate an album as 'The Fragile. ' It is a culmination of everything that Nine Inch Nails has ever been. It has been mixed, sampled, and kicked in the balls repeatedly, and come out sounding as good as anything Reznor has ever one. If you are a fan of Nine Inch Nails, you will love this. If you are a fan of music, you will love this. If you simply are, you will love this.