With Teeth review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: May 3, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth

"With Teeth" is by far the most dense NIN record, and also the most cluttered sounding. The majority of the songs are muddy sounding with each instrument appearing to have not been mixed but merely all turned to the same level. There is little to no clarity on the record, with the exception of the records standout song "Everyday Is Exactly The Same."

Trent Reznor has never been a poet, but the majority of the lyrics here range from cringe inducing to laugh worthy. For a man that's thrity eight years old to sound like he wasn't picked for kickball in gym (again) isn't really cool or hip but just stupid. Reznor once avoids the "I was screwed over, someone harmed me, now I'm angry" with "Right Where It Belongs," but by that point it's to little to late and my head hurt from the sub-junior high school creative writting class poetry assignment lyrics that make up the bulk of the record.

This is the first time that a NIN record has let me down, but what an immense dissapointment it is. There is little to grab onto while the songs are playing, and by the time it had finally concluded I remembered very little (even less good things) about the record as a whole. The sound is muddy and way to busy, the lyrics borded line (or just flat out) moronic and the songs are unmemorable and trite mid-ninties industrial pop a la Stabbing Westward. My copy of "With Teeth" will very, very quickly join the rest of the CDs at my local used CD store. Worst NIN record yet.