With Teeth review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: May 3, 2005
Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth

The sound this time around is more streamlined and less 'wall of sound', like The Fragile. Not to say there are no distorted guitars, lush sonic landscapes on this album, because there are. It just seems that the focus of With Teeth is strictly the songs themselves, and not the actual daunting task of sitting through the excruciating beauty, which was The Fragile. With Teeth is a strong listen the first time through, and it only grows stronger with each additional listen. You will definately have this CD on repeat play, as it's seems to end too quickly. And you'll also think of it as yet another masterpiece from Trent Reznor.

The lyrics on With Teeth are like any other album from NIN. Disconnnnected, angry, sad and focused inward. Trent Reznor's voice has never sounded better.

Comparing one NIN album with another is always tough for me. While The Fragile is probably my most listened to and loved NIN album, I can see where some thought it was too long and self indulgent. I'll just say With Teeth is almost as if Trent went back, took bits and pieces from Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, mixed them up in a blender, streamlined each song and made it something seemingly familiar, but quite different. There hints of nostalgia peppered through out the album, yet each song sounds refreshingly new. Having said that, I tend to miss the long spiraling songs that fed into instrumentals, as in The Fragile. I miss the grand scope of both Downward and Fragile. But With Teeth is an instant classic which deserves to be in NIN fans, and non-fans librarys alike. Yet another Nine Inch Nails classic album.