With Teeth review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: May 3, 2005
Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth

NIN's 'With Teeth' is a collage of almost every style of music and accomplishes this very well. The songs blend and interconnect and makes sitting down and listening to the album in its entirety a must. Reznor still has his heavy, hard tracks like "You Know What You Are?" and "Getting Smaller," but also has very subtle, melodic, even funky tracks like "All The Love In The World," "Only," and "Sunspots." I won't go as far as to say this is a musical masterpice, but the mood and feel of the album is the best I've heard in, well, 5 1/2 years).

Lyrically, typical Reznor. There are lines from previous songs, but it seems like he is making fun of himself rather than recycling them. The spoken wordy "Only" made me really think of Bowie or 'Talking Heads', but then, whats wrong with that? Trent does really seem to sing a lot of the songs rather than just scream them which is a nice change.

Overall, "With Teeth" is a fantasic record and if you are NIN fan, it may take several listenings to really get it and appreciate it (it did for me). The album has a different feel than the rest of Reznor's work, yet it seems as though it belongs among them. The wait was worth it. One thing I will admit: I haven't been able to stop listening to it yet!