With Teeth review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: May 3, 2005
Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth

Every album and ep until the fragile has been a major difference in sound. With Teeth combines all the previous works into a new re-worked sound type. Some production techniques and effects from the fragile are clearly in the sound spectrum. He completely recorded differently, he used to say and use a different drum sound on every song. Now the album has the same live drum sound on many songs (mostly the dave grohl drumming) but without getting bored with it. It is a great live drum sound, nicely compressed. This is more stripped down in layers but I do think it is sometimes too full of information for being stripped.

Too full of information is what I also think of the lyrics. Maybe it's because in interviews he mainly tells the topics so the lyrics stay 1 dimensional to me (they don't go any deeper/abstract or give the listener a question mark so they can fill it in about what it is). Some lyric usage do surprise me (flip-flop-flip flop). Unlike some journalists I do find it excellent that he stays personal in his own world. Too much bad worlds on the news and I'm all for Individuals instead of groupings! Be yourself. There's no you there is only me.

With these songs I could give this a 5: All The Love In The World, You Know What You Are?, The Collector, The Hand That Feeds, Every Day Is Exactly The Same, Only, bEside You In Time, Right Where It Belongs. These are good also but didn't gave me such an impact: The collector, the line begins to blur, Home. The other 4 skip on many listens (love is not enough, with teeth, getting smaller, sunspots). Compaired to other albums on the market this album features a 10 out of 14 excellent song listens. which is way more than an average of 2 out of 14. In the future With Teeth will be mentioned next to the "Downward Spiral" and "Pretty Hate Machine." Best songs: All The Love In The World, Every Day Is Exactly The Same, Right Where It Belongs, Only.