With Teeth review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: May 3, 2005
Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth

With Teeth comes in with a more up-beat, rock band-like sound that hadn't been heard since the release of "Broken" in 1992. The album features a heavier doasage of the basic rock instruments (guitar, bass) then previously heard over the last ten years of Nine Inch Nails' work.

The centers around a more independent, uprising theme seen in "The Hand That Feeds" and "Only." Coincidentally these songs happen to be the first two singles off the album. Many can connect it to the war on terror currently happening in the Middle East. Nine Inch Nails' frontman Trent Reznor focuses on a more relaxed, melodic approach to the new album then previous records. Past work shows the depressed and even disturbed mental state of Reznor in songs like, "Heresy" and "Hurt." The singer shows that he is capable of being a melodic and talented artist as well as the hardened human he has become.

The album itself was good. When I first picked up the album, I had not heard any of Nine Inch Nails' previous work. I thought the album was great, and then went out and got more and more of Nine Inch Nails' albums. However the more I bought, the more I disliked "With Teeth." After albums like, "The Downward Spiral" and "The Fragile," "With Teeth" doesn't really compare to the older style of Nine Inch Nails. The agony and depression in previous albums set the tone for who Nine Inch Nails was in the music world, and "With Teeth" strays from that so much that I feel they have lost their edge. The lyrics and messages just don't seem to contain as much power and meaning as they do in more of the heartfelt and emotional albums. I still suggest getting the album, if you are a Nine Inch Nails fan or not. It's still a nice album to add to anyone's collection.