With Teeth review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: May 3, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth

This album sounds like Trent Reznor started a completely new band. On songs like "The Hand That Feeds," it almost sounds like pop. I think he needs to start doing drugs again, because I was extremely disappointed with this album. It's just not Nine Inch Nails! There are however some good songs on it. "Beside You In Time" is actually quite amazing.

The lyrics are probably where this album suffers most. Trent Reznor has never been a very talented lyricist. He's an amazing singer, but as far as lyrics go, they've always been kind of corny, "I can't believe my life" sort of thing. The quality of the music on his previous albums is enough to redeem that, or even enhance it but this is just too much. "No longer concerned with fitting into the world, your world, that is." This has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard in a song.

This does not compare to other Nine Inch Nails albums at all. This is the worst one. I'm not saying it's a terrible album, it's just not very good. I'd have to say the best songs on With Teeth are "The Line Begins To Blur" and "Beside You In Time." Both of those are actually on par with Nine Inch Nails standards. I can't say I actually love anything about this album, but there are things I hate; mostly the lyrics. I also hate the idea that, if this is Trent Reznor's last album, he'll be leaving behind such a shitty legacy, and he's better than that.