Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D review by Nine Inch Nails

• Released: Nov 20, 2007
Nine Inch Nails: Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D

It seems to be the season of remixes in the rock world. Along with fellow synth-friendly band The Gorillaz, the always-inventive Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails have released their 4th remix album, which features the songs of Year Zero. The new CD not-so-succinctly titled Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D adds completely new dimensions to songs that already have enough samples and keyboards in them to sound like a remix. With the help of artists like The Faint, Saul Williams, and the Kronos Quartet, the usual melancholy NIN vibe is transformed into dance hits, hip-hop numbers, and even symphonic movements. All of the changes add up to a very different sound, and at some points it's for the better. While the album Year Zero had some great musical moments, Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D covers a lot of musical genres -- which might not be what a lot of fans want or need. When you compare the original NIN tracks to the newer versions, about half of them are similar interpretations and the other half is actually more interesting than the Year Zero tunes. A lot of the remixes stay true to Reznor's original vision, with Vessel and The Warning among them. While the general arrangement on The Warning is the same, it actually cuts back on the electronica element and replaces it with more of a tribal beat. There are a few standout tracks that blow the originals away, and even as remixes, those songs couldn't be more different from each other. The Faint has taken Meet Your Master and made it into almost an 80's breakdance song. It injects a lot of life into the song and immediately makes an impression. Enrique Gonzalez Muller and the Kronos Quartet transform the sullen piano number Another Version Of The Truth into a breathtaking, and often times happy, orchestral piece. It goes in a very different emotional direction and accentuates the strong core of the song. Saul Williams, the spoken word/hip-hop artists who showed up on Year Zero, also took a few stabs on the remix album. Gunshots By Computer and Survivalism (which he provided backing vocals for on Year Zero) are his 2 contributions, both of which feature rapped sections. Gunshots By Computer is actually a pretty fascinating listen, particularly considering it takes the instrumental track Hyperpower and adds new lyrics, complements of Williams.

Pretty much all of the lyrical content showed up previously on the Year Zero album, with the exception of Williams' rapped additions in Gunshots By Computer. There is everything from apocalyptic themes (The Warning) to 2007's version of Closer (Vessel), and Reznor does a solid job as usual at conveying intense emotion. A lot of the remixes chop up the lyrics to suit a beat, but in songs like Zero-Sum you are still given the full rundown of the words.

The remix CD is available in a few different forms (digital, CD/DVD-Rom combo, and triple vinyl), with the DVD portion featuring the same track listing along with a demo of Ableton Live. Another cool feature is you're given the option of remixing if you've got Microsoft and Windows systems. It would have been nice to have a few other extras besides the remixing content, but there are plenty of fans that will probably have a lot of fun with it. NIN is no stranger to remix albums and Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D definitely is one of the most diverse. When the album is good, it's amazing -- but there are quite a few moments when the songs don't stray enough from the original format to make it worth our while. Among the 14 songs there is a good amount of quality content, and if the album does anything, it will allow the most talented of the remixers to make a name for themselves.

[Sin]
    assembler wrote: i havent heard it, but if i did, i would say its a metaphor for pig feces...but again i havent heard it. I usually tend to like the music and even trent's voices. Nothing is impervious and the name is lame: it doesnt say that, it says this is a remix not as good as the original and please buy it and like it cause we are a lame old band trying to hold onto the idea that we are a new band from the 90's.
    Wow.. that's kinda an interesting view on that since you say you haven't listened to the album... at all. What I find even more amusing is what you said about them being a "new band from the 90's" NIN has been around since 86. Doesn't quite make them a new band from the 90's. If you don't like the music, dont waste time commenting about it. Trent has accomplished far more than you could, which is obvious because I have seen more than 15 years worth of his material and you haven't contributed anything of your own. =]
    toddos84
    Pretty solid album, alot more accessible than previous nin remix albums (such as Further Down the Spiral). I am surprised how many people are saying they prefer With_Teeth, which is probably my least favourite nin album. Also i think the "i pushed the button and...etc" lyric was good!
    seabass324
    Key8Lime8Pie wrote: Argh, another NIN album. Im not going to even get my hopes up, since the last one just depressed me. Sorry Trent, but I think its time you gave up the whole music thing "I pushed a button and elected him to office and a He pushed a button and it dropped a " I mean, come on. Just read those lyrics! It's a metaphor. If would pay attention to the way Trent writes his lyrics you would realize that. It's usually all metaphorical and abstract or has some underlying meaning.
    those lines aren't very metaphorical nor do they have much underlying meaning, seems pretty straight forward to me and depending on their musical context could be crappy or alright. but still not that great.
    E_Ric_Steel wrote: h0w 15 1t th4t p30pl3 d0n't g3t h0w t0 r34d (how is it that people don't know how to read) although the "With_Teeth" remix album was not as good as it could have been i just think that the same time that i got to listen to Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D and then i listened to Purest Feelings and i like the latter a little more
    it's funny you said how is that people don't get how to read then translated to how is that people don't know how to read and neither sentence are a good representation of what you're trying to say. i've seen leet more on games than aim. but idk bout this new NIN stuff this doesn't sound good to me "if the album does anything, it will allow the most talented of the remixers to make a name for themselves"
    guerito
    agreed
    listless
    Yeah, they aren't metaphorical at all. It's strange. Somehow, when an idea is expressed through a metaphor, it becomes impervious to any criticism because "it's a metaphor".
    assembler
    Year Zero
    E_Ric_Steel
    pigmaggots
    pigmaggots
    [Sin] wrote: Trent has accomplished far more than you could, which is obvious because I have seen more than 15 years worth of his material and you haven't contributed anything of your own.
    To be fair, in modern day music, can any new artist even last 5 years now? Even if he was going to try and contribute music to the music world, it'd be a waste of time
    LRZ3333
    SAWEEET. Year Zero and With Teeth kicked major arsenal. I play bass and guitar. Can't wait to pick up drums so I can work on his material!
    LRZ3333
    haha!!!
    Key8Lime8Pie
    Year Zero wrote: Obviously if you don't get the humor of the song Capital G you are retarded. The lyrics were designed to be goofy to mock the morons that ruin our world. The entire song is ripping on politicians, greedy oil ass holes, and of course George W.
    I agree 100%
    giganticbrain
    epipnin
    giganticbrain wrote: pigmaggots wrote: giganticbrain wrote: Argh, another NIN album. Im not going to even get my hopes up, since the last one just depressed me. Sorry Trent, but I think its time you gave up the whole music thing "I pushed a button and elected him to office and a He pushed a button and it dropped a bomb" I mean, come on. Just read those lyrics! Trents never been so great with lyrics though, he likes his rhyming cuplets...silly man. I don't think lyrics should be why you like a band mind. I don't base my bands on their lyrics, I just think that whole song, (along with Me, Im Not and The Beginning Of The End) is just stupid. Trent has definitely had much better albums. For example, the album Broken was simply amazing. Every song was awesome and I loved it. And by I don't know where the **** your getting this whole "humor" thing, but the only humor I found in that song was its pure stupidity.
    epipnin wrote: gigantic*****
    Key8Lime8Pie
    haha agreed. any experienced aim user should pick it up real easy
    Squabblism
    First Comment! maybe... anyway a great remix. not as good as original but so what.
    jsatch87
    There is everything from apocalyptic themes (The Warning) to 2007s version of Closer (Vessel),
    not really similar songs at all, Vessel is about drugs.
    RRRone
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: What a strange namne for an album...
    whats so strange about it?? it says "year zero remixed" in l33t
    rhcpfan118
    how did you not get what the name meant? it's pretty obvious at first glance...
    phuzehatz
    I ****ing Love this remix album!!! I expecting the dancy remixes but all the better because they are sooooo good. Year Zero enhanced!!
    areese82
    thirdeye_15
    I would've liked to see a "With Teeth" remix. It was way better than "Year Zero". agreeeeed!
    thirdeye_15
    how in the fuk is this appear to be a weird name for the cd??? again its CLEARLY evident it says YEARZEROREMIXED within numbers?
    Bananapatata
    Comeback Kiddd : Saul Williams ruined a song or 2
    haha yeah. yeah, also the "Me, I'm Not" 14 minute track is horrible. horrible. but the "meet your master" and "the great destroyer" were great!
    zalant
    What a strange name for anal bum...
    Ha! Go Connery!! I WILL buy this album! (Got every other halo, why stop now?)
    SkinnyWhiteBoy
    I thought it said "Years Errors Mixed"... as in he took all of the leftover from previous shit and put it into one album. Oh well, still sounds nice.
    unclemontezuma
    rhcpfan118 wrote: how did you not get what the name meant? it's pretty obvious at first glance...
    It's really not.
    giganticbrain
    Key8Lime8Pie
    It's a metaphor and if you truly payed any attention to the way Trent does things you would have realized that.
    The Spoon
    Yay one song. But oh no, since the lyrics reference to the government, the whole CD is bad! i like most of the remixes on the album, I like Guns by Computer...Saul Williams is awesome